SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I threw this question out a few days ago with no reply. Thought Id try once more. According to their catalog, Groco bronze one piece seacocks use a stainless ball in the valve and Groco bronze in-line valves (for use with their flanged adapters) use a chrome plated brass ball. Is this a non-issue?

·
Registered
221 Posts
is your question whether you want to use the inline valve as a raw water sea ****?

if so, my answer would be don't do it. in-line valves are not proper seacocks (but yes people do use them as such).

rick

I threw this question out a few days ago with no reply. Thought Id try once more. According to their catalog, Groco bronze one piece seacocks use a stainless ball in the valve and Groco bronze in-line valves (for use with their flanged adapters) use a chrome plated brass ball. Is this a non-issue?

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
They are..

They are actually chrome plated red brass or marine brass balls not the high zinc content yellow brass. I had this same thought and called them before buying. I have been using them for a few yeas and they show zero signs of corrosion..

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its my understanding after reading many posts from knowledgable guys on this site that using an in-line valve with the flanged adapter is not only a good idea but a great one. Just use the adapter and not just a locking ring and install it right.
But Im wondering if upgrading further to a one piece seacock is theoretically better, (but yes, more trouble to replace in the future if need be) and the ball material seems to be one difference.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
The only way I would even consider converting back to fixed seacocks vs. flanged adapters is to buy the Spartan Bronze tapered cone seacocks. They are about as bullet proof as can be and can be re-built in place. If the seacock you are looking at has a ball then use a flanged adapter, if it's a tapered cone style then it's ok but will be very, very expensive..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts