SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of these as my thru-hull for my Raw Water intake for my motor. It's a 1/2" Bronze Intake Strainer.
Bronze Intake Strainer

The PO had put on a Marlon 1/2" shut off valve that worked okay, but the handle eventually sheered. I talked to the PO about it to see if he had any bad luck with the Marlon valve before and he also had one sheer on him. He suggested that he probably should have gone with a proper seacock set-up, but the Marlon worked well for him for a year or two.

I want to convert over to a proper seacock set-up, with triangle base, and metal ball valve. The problem is I can't find a 1/2" adapter base to go from the thread pattern on the Intake Strainer Thru-Hull, to the thread pattern (NPT) on the ball valve. 3/4" is the smallest I can find.

Any ideas?

DrB

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
Make the whole thing

Make the whole thing 3/4" and ditch the 1/2" fitting. Many manufacturers have moved away from 1/2" fittings as they plug up very, very easily.. Depending upon where you are you might want a hinged screen. I have had that type plug before with eel grass and it's a royal PITA to clean it out. I no longer use a intake screen and instead increased the intake to 1" and it never plugs and it passes everything to the strainer thus preventing going over board with a knife to dig crap out of the slots....

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I'd second what Maine Sail suggests...since cleaning out a strainer basket beats having to dive to clean out an external hull strainer every time. :) And a 1" through hull has four times the volume capacity of a 1/2" one...meaning that even if it does get a bit of growth in it, you'll still have plenty of water to cool the engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts