SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
699 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Seagull IV that is leaking at the output fitting. I'm trying to fix it with sealant again, but thought about buying a new one.

When I look at what a new Seagull IV is priced at, I am amazed at the cost of the unit - say $700-$900. It really is nothing but a vessel to hold the filter. The expense of the filters I can understand - they are good and it's a "whatever the market will bear" price. But the actual unit seems to be very little for the money.

Does anyone know if another brand that will hold the "General Ecology" filter cartridges?

Be careful out there!

· Registered
699 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am convinced there is a difference in filter construction. I know the General Ecology are more than just a carbon or charcoal filter and is claimed by them to remove viruses and bacteria - not just chlorine, sediment etc..

So I am sure there are cheaper alternatives - the price for the "system," really just a stainless housing for the cartridge, is ridiculous in my opinion. I will check the Pentek site.....that might be a solution.

Thanks folks!

· Registered
699 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ran Seagull OB's for years with no fuel filter at all, all over the SoPac. I'd probably just put any commercial inline fuel/water filter in the line (for gas, not diesel) and let it go at that. It's not like your fuel is filthy in the states like it is in the 3rd world.
$90 for an element seems just a bit out there to me, especially on a motor that one can disassemble, clean and reassemble the carb in an hour or so.
Thanks capta, but we are talking about water filters...not the British Seagull outboard. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.