SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ruler of Wind and Wave
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To inspect the inside of the diesel tank, I removed the twenty self tapping screws which hold the aluminum plate and rubber gasket. For some reason the builder mixed the screws, three being of very slightly larger diameter but the pitch is the same. Once I realized this, I tried to put those three back in the same tapped holes but missed one. Therefore, I effectively retapped the thread of one of the holes slightly larger. After sorting this out, I was unable to torque up the smaller screw in the larger tapped hole. (Is this wordy enough??) The plate is effectively clamped due to a screw every inch along the perimeter; however, my concern is that when I top off the tank I'll have fuel weep back through the sloppy thread.

I haven't found another slighly larger screw yet. What would you think about a dab of silicon sealer on the threads or maybe JB Weld. The base metal (threaded) is 3/16" thick.

Anyone had success sealing like this?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Might work, but I think you need to be careful what you use to seal diesel tanks. Some of the ordinary gaskets/sealers will not work well, I do not know specifically if the items you're talking about will work with diesel. I'd just try to find more of the larger screws, replace all the small ones with large ones so you're only dealing with 1 size the next time.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,436 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Chances are you don't have room for a dimenuative person, two mirrors and a pop rivet tool to fit within your work space! I'd follow FishFinder's advice and also just squeeeze a line of the same gasket material that your're using on your valve cover. Don't use the JB Weld unless you want to give up inspection. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
if you're going to use a sealant, use an rtv silicone sealant designed for fuel tank or engine use. also, mark the holes and the larger screws so you don't repeat the error, or get all the same size screws per ff's post..

·
Ruler of Wind and Wave
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thanks for all the recommendations. I moved the boat 180 mi. this week to her home port. Topped off the diesel twice with no weeping observed at the threads. I'll be looking for the larger screws for the best fix.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Permatex number 2 (non-harding) No waiting, easy to clean up with alcohol.

do not use number 1 (harding)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Permatex numbers 1 and 2 can no longer be reccomended for gasoline because its solvent is alcohol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts