SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I know sealants get discussed a lot on Sailnet, but I couldn't find the answer to this particular question. I'm getting ready to install a pair of chocks at the transom, so I can cross my stern lines in my slip (necessary because of slip configuration). See pic below for location. As you can see, I'll be installing the chock on top of the teak toerail, similar to the chocks on each side of the boat. I have a few questions actually:

1. What sealant should I use between the wood and the chock? Do I need to sand off the Cetol, or should I make sure it's sealed?

2. Do I need to through-bolt or just screw into the rail (I was assuming through-bolt, but thought I'd ask)?

3. Assuming I need to through-bolt, will washers suffice, or do I need a backing plate? Also, any tips for drilling all the way through the teak and fiberglass (I'll need a long bit, yes)?

Pic:

Thanks for your help!
-J

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Hi all,
I know sealants get discussed a lot on Sailnet, but I couldn't find the answer to this particular question. I'm getting ready to install a pair of chocks at the transom, so I can cross my stern lines in my slip (necessary because of slip configuration). See pic below for location. As you can see, I'll be installing the chock on top of the teak toerail, similar to the chocks on each side of the boat. I have a few questions actually:

1. What sealant should I use between the wood and the chock? Do I need to sand off the Cetol, or should I make sure it's sealed?
Butyl tape should work nicely. Leave the cetol.

2. Do I need to through-bolt or just screw into the rail (I was assuming through-bolt, but thought I'd ask)?
Through-bolt. :) The loads on the line chocks can be fairly high.

3. Assuming I need to through-bolt, will washers suffice, or do I need a backing plate? Also, any tips for drilling all the way through the teak and fiberglass (I'll need a long bit, yes)?

Pic:

Thanks for your help!
-J
Yes, a long bit is needed, as probably is a backing plate.

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks SD. The Cetol is worn of a little in the area...should I seal it up first, or does it even matter since I'm uusing butyl tape over it?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I'd patch it...just in case... :)
Thanks SD. The Cetol is worn of a little in the area...should I seal it up first, or does it even matter since I'm uusing butyl tape over it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts