SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gut check on a plan please...

I've got a small leak from around my centerboard pin and I'd like to re-bed the pin. I've got some other fiberglass work to do in the vicinity and I'm taking the CB completely out, so I have the opportunity to work from the inside of the hole as opposed to just smearing goop around the pin from underneath.

Do you guys think that a sealant like Life Calk would work to rebed the pin if I put a good bead in the hole before I put the pin back in? It's a jam fit so I'm not sure that much of it would stay around the pin, but maybe it would be enough to seal all of the nooks and crannies. I don't see many alternatives.

Any thoughts on other methods or materials?

·
Master Mariner
9,417 Posts
How did Irwin originally do it?
My suggestion would be to build a block to cover the pin end and screw that into the side of the trunk. Put sealant inside the hole in the block for the pin end that protrudes from the trunk. Easy access and surely waterproof.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guess I should have been more clear...the pin goes from the outside of the hull, through the ballast, through the CB, and exits through the ballast and hull on the other side. If I look through it I can see my fence on one side and my house on the other. ;)

It's not accessible from inside the boat, so I'm working outside the boat but can seal the inside of the hole. So I was thinking about putting a good bead of Life Calk in the hole and pushing the pin through, hoping it would seal.

Once the pin is in, there's a set-screw that goes in and then the hole is filled with putty. I'm thinking Life Calk on that too, or should the be low density filler?

·
Master Mariner
9,417 Posts
Our centerboard pin is also in the keel, below the waterline. It has a cover plate on each side that is screwed into the hull to keep moisture out. It is bedded with good underwater sealant, certainly NOT an adhesive like 5200, which would be a pretty foolish thing to use on something removable.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I'd smear a light coating of LifeCaulk inside the hole where the pin will reside. Use a stick or something to insert it and spread it around. Also smear some on the pin. Insert right after you spread the caulk as you don't want it begin to skin over which will make it hard to push the pin through. LifeCaulk is a mild adhesive so this may be a permanent fix. Not as bad as the 3M products but wouldn't want to have to remove the pin in the future. Does the pin hole allow water into the boat if the pin is not caulked?? If everything is encased in the keel and it wouldn't/doesn't leak might be better to insert the pin dry anticipating removing the pin at a later date. You will get a seal from whatever you caulk the ends with but wouldn't stake my boat on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.