SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The deck on my boat is made up of 3/8 inch mesh/epoxy covered with gel coat. The interior is some decorative plastic fabric over a thin plastic shell. The area between these layers is 1/4 inch balsa. When I got the boat there were many top side leaks. The water moves around in the balsa core and finds its way out far from the leak.

Over the years I have fixed most of the leaks by removing and reinstalling most of the fittings and sealing the holes by digging out some of the balsa core, sealing the bottom of the hole with tape, pouring epoxy into the hole and drilling it out.

Before doing this I have to dry our the hole and surrounding area which is somewhat difficult.

I'm wondering if there's any material which can be used in a damp/wet environment yet bond to the deck and inner liner?

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Epoxy will set in a wet area but it won't stick to anything. The only good solution to a core that is wet is to remove it and replace it with new dry core. This involves cutting either the top or bottom layer of the deck off in the area that is wet. It is easiest to work from the top.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Most epoxies will not cure in a wet deck. I have had had to fix more than one deck that was "repaired" by injecting epoxy. It turns into a gooey mess that will not cure and has to be scraped out. If epoxy is used where moisture is present make sure it is the type that will cure underwater. WEST will not.

·
Registered
23,447 Posts
There are epoxy products that claim to cure in wet wood. I have used Clear Penetrating Epoxy on damp wood, with success, but it wasn't buried like a core. The idea seems half assed and that usually leads to trouble aboard. Anyway, here's an example.

BoatLIFE Wet Wood Epoxy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts