SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering addung another rope clutch on the dog house. The deck is cored and I'd like to prepare it a la Don Casey's advice and over drill the holes, remove core surrounding and fill with epoxy to create a solid deck to mount the hardware. My question is about what epoxy to use. I'll be using WEST system. What hardner and filler should I use. I'm not real familiar with the product. Any advice or links to helpful literature on picking appropriate products?

·
Registered
585 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
406 Colloidal silica is the general-purpose thickener, for when you don't want the epoxy to run. I also use the 407 additive which makes the epoxy easier to sand. It's good to have both around.

However, when filling through-deck penetrations, I usually put masking tape over the bottom of the hole, and pour un-thickened epoxy in. This gives the best penetration into the core. When that is set, it will be concave, and I then add some epoxy thickened with 406 to finish.

As I found out, this doesn't work if you have a liner inside the salon roof - the epoxy runs down the gap between the liner and deck. Then it has to be all thickened.

On the West System website there is a guide to selection of hardener, which is essentially according to temperature. I tend to use 206 for the deck as it sets quicker and I don't need the last word in strength.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
You can put unthickened epoxy in the hole after taping the bottom, let sit for a few minutes, and then remove the excess with a syringe. Thicken the epoxy you removed and pour it in the hole to the top. Drill after it sets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts