SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Old Fart
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a spot where four electronic signal wires go thru the cockpit floor. I've sealed them before but recently had to remove one and was wondering if anyone has had experience with a particularily good material for same. I would think what ever it was it would need to be fairly liquid to flow between the wires so that they seal good. Any suggestions?

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
You could pack the wires with butyl tape.

·
Old Fart
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could try these cable seals from West. Is a horizontalor vertical surface?
It's a horizontal surface just below the steering pedestal.

Obviously a cable seal is the best alternative but that would mean I'd have to pull the cables and feed them thru the seal. Way too much trouble for a lazy guy like myself.

Butyl tape might work but I'd have to be sure to work it between the wires to get a good seal.

I used a marine caulk before by sealing the bottom with butyl tape and filling the hole with the caulk but I was hoping for something more liquid to assure it got into all the minute cracks, etc between the cables and so on. I'm planning to refurbish the cockpit sole later this summer and will probably go with the cable seals at that time for a permanent solution.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
A cable clam is a more permanent solution but if you want something on the Q&D, you can run a blob of beeswax over the wires. It will seal, and on hot days tend to melt down in between them and seal even a bit better. Easily removeable. $4 buys you a block of it as a "toilet bowl seal ring" in any hardware store.

You can also of course heat it up (carefully) and pour some in liquid, or dice it up and let it dissolve in kerosene or naphtha overnight to make it pourable.

Just remember to strip the wax thoroughly before trying any sealant in the area afterwards.

·
Old Fart
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A cable clam is a more permanent solution but if you want something on the Q&D, you can run a blob of beeswax over the wires. It will seal, and on hot days tend to melt down in between them and seal even a bit better. Easily removeable. $4 buys you a block of it as a "toilet bowl seal ring" in any hardware store.

You can also of course heat it up (carefully) and pour some in liquid, or dice it up and let it dissolve in kerosene or naphtha overnight to make it pourable.

Just remember to strip the wax thoroughly before trying any sealant in the area afterwards.
Now why didn't I think of that and I even keep a couple of bowl rings aboard stowed in the bilge? Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts