SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any photographs of historical significance of the Columbia River between the states of Oregon and Washington? Say, from the mid-to-late 20th Century? I've lived on a sailboat in the area and I'd love to see some rare photos of the Columbia or Willamette Rivers around Portland, Oregon if anyone has any. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
There is a nautical museum in Anacortes Washington with a snag boat out front. That boat ran many rivers in the area, including the Columbia, and there are many pictures of the river and the snag boat in operation as I recall. The last time we flew through the Portland airport there was a display which included a number of what looked like old newsreels of boats attempting to go upriver inland on the Columbia. The museum in Astoria that is right on the river also has a great collection of photographs of the early explorations of the Columbia.

·
Master Mariner
9,206 Posts
There are several stock photo houses which might have exactly what you are looking for. I only know two, I-Stock & Getty, but there are others.

Reactions: BrianKFriesen

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here's a peach; the Hood River Bridge from 1926.

Not really "Portland Area," but just upriver about 60 miles near Hood River.

From the Old Oregon Photos web site:
"The Hood River Bridge is the second oldest bridge built across the Columbia between Oregon and Washington, having been completed in 1924, shortly before this photo was created. Its original name was the Waucoma Interstate Bridge - sometimes shortened to just the Interstate Bridge. Construction of the Bonneville Dam downstream forced the bridge to be altered in 1938 to accommodate higher river levels. At that time the bridge was raised and the current lift bridge portion was added."

You might find more at oldoregonphotos.com.
Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts