SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sparrow 16 were build around 1980 in Washington. About a hundred were launched - 16' trailer sailing boats with shoal keels. We are looking for owners and former owners who will share their experiences.

·
Sparrow Girl
17 Posts
Sparrow 16

I have owned my Sparrow 16 (hull #19) for since August 2008. I love it.
I am at least the 3rd owner and bought it in the Spokane WA area. As soon as I bought mine, a second came up for sale in the same area.

I haven't had it out too many times to test it yet but I know it can sail quite well in light winds. I'm looking forward to taking on the big lakes of north Idaho next summer.

I find it pretty easy to rig and maintain. Not having a centerboard means much less maintenance. There are no spreaders and no backstay so setting up at the ramp is easy. The keel presents a bit of a problem for launching. My solution was to add a telscoping tongue that increases its length by 7' just for launching.

The most definitive review of it I've found was done by the magazine Small Craft Advisor. I highlty recommend it. You can order it at their website.

Best

Christine

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Christine!

Okay, you still have your boat!
I picked up two photos you may have posted on Shorty Pens website. Your email address did not work so I feared you had moved on...
As you may know, I've put a web site for Sparrow 16 up and established a yahoo group sparrow16 if you care to join.
Thanks for making contact,
Bill

·
Sparrow Girl
17 Posts
Bill,

Can you send me your email address using a private message? I cannot send them yet since I'm so new here.

Also, can you send me the link to your website and the yahoo group?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
That was originally a Guppy designed by Ron Holder so it should be a nice boat. Combined Melon Marine and Northshore Marine only around 150 were built so a rare find.

Just be mindful of the lack of a kick-up rudder and the need for around 3 feet of water to float it off the trailer when launching and retrieving due to the fixed shoal keel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts