SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My wife and I are going for our competent crew certification next week. It will be one week on a 40 foot sailboat in the Whitsunday Islands.

Given I know my wife is prone to a bit of seasickness I am thinking it prudent to pick up some medication to help with that. What are the options and what ones do people think work best? I gather for them to be effective they need to be taken prior to getting on the boat. Pills or patches?

Thoughts, advice and recommendations most welcome!

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Sturgeron, compazine, Dramamine, Bonine, and Scopolamine.

IIRC, the ones in bold are OTC, but Sturgeron isn't available in the US.

·
Registered
179 Posts
sea sickness meds

Hi

Ondansetron (trade name Zofran) is an incredibly effective antinauseant - much mose effective than the atihistamines (bonamine/meclizine, dramamine, and in Canada Gravol) and works on a completely different biochemical pathway. side effects very uncommon (unlike dry mouth, fatigue/sleepiness with the antihistamines). scopolamine, while found by many to be quite effective (and transdermal prep obviously works even if you're actively hurling) in my experience also has the highest incidence of adverse effects.

unfortunately Ondansetron is also expensive and requires a prescription.

Ginger is a common naturopathic anti-nauseant/anti-seasickness treatment and has some actual scientific data behind it.

staying on deck, keeping your head in fresh air and the horizon in view, simple foods and avoiding alcohol anecdotally probably just as important.

very jealous about your Whitsunday trip. have been reading an old cruising guide about them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Avoiding alcohol - yea, hmmm, beautiful sunset, beautiful beach...no red wine. Ouch. In life, sometimes you have to take a risk or two hehe.

edit - and thanks for the recommendations, will see what I can pick up in town tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Stugeron are the best we have encountered but I don't know if you'll get them in Aus, I know we can't buy them in New Zealand.
We used them in SA for guests who got ill at sea.

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
Me too

My wife feels queasy for the first few days so takes Bonine the day before we sail. After the few days she seems to adapt and stops the meds. When I used to fish for tuna I'd offer dramamine to crew. It worked but seemed to really zonk them. I've heard that some people use a patch behind the ear, often cutting it in half. Likely you are aware of not waiting till symptoms hit before taking the med. Take it well before you get aboard. Have fun!

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
BTW, it is generally a good idea to avoid greasy foods and alcohol. Also, taking the medication a day before going aboard is a good idea... since some will have side effects that are stronger at the initial dose or take a while to work. Taking them after you're already seasick is generally far less effective.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts