SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All...

My boat has a CH2100P, and at the end of last season I pulled it out to replace it due to a broken neutral switch. I ordered a new one but only now did the installer try to install it.

He told me that its not working, that when he moves it the shift does not engage (to shift into fwd or reverse). So he didn't install it and asked me to get a replacement. Problem is, that will take a while and I would like to get the boat running by the weekend.

This is a brand new unit, I have to think he is missing something. Does this make any sense? If this is a common issue can it be fixed?

Thanks...

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
I don't understand how an installer cannot figure out a simple mechanical linkage issue like described. The shifter moves a cable, which moves the shift lever on the transmission. If it is not, then there is either a broken cable, poorly adjusted cable, loose end connector, or something is wrong with the transmission itself.

I guess it is possible that the new shifter is faulty, but unlikely since they are pretty simple things. If it was broken, I'd expect the installer to point out where/how.

Mark

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it is possible that the new shifter is faulty, but unlikely since they are pretty simple things. If it was broken, I'd expect the installer to point out where/how.
He had not even installed it yet. He felt the CH2100P itself is somehow broken. I was not with him, he told me this over the phone so I could not see, or understand, what he was talking about. He was clear he thinks the CH2100P itself is broken, not the transmission.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
He had not even installed it yet. He felt the CH2100P itself is somehow broken. I was not with him, he told me this over the phone so I could not see, or understand, what he was talking about. He was clear he thinks the CH2100P itself is broken, not the transmission.
I see now. I was thinking a broken shift cable, but it hasn't even got that far. These are pretty simple devices - when you move the lever, it moves an arm up and down (actually a push-pull slide), which moves the cable, which shifts the transmission. If the shifter is broken, the arm won't move.

One thing to check is that there is a button in the middle of the shifter handle that disables the shift. Make sure that isn't pushed or caught in.

Mark

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see now. I was thinking a broken shift cable, but it hasn't even got that far. These are pretty simple devices - when you move the lever, it moves an arm up and down (actually a push-pull slide), which moves the cable, which shifts the transmission. If the shifter is broken, the arm won't move.

One thing to check is that there is a button in the middle of the shifter handle that disables the shift. Make sure that isn't pushed or caught in.
Thanks Mark, this is what I thought and actually I even asked him about that button, since the entire reason I'm replacing the thing is to get that neutral button to work. If the button was pushed in, should it pop out by itself when the throttle lever is moved back into neutral?

I'm going to go down there myself and see if I can figure it out.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Thanks Mark, this is what I thought and actually I even asked him about that button, since the entire reason I'm replacing the thing is to get that neutral button to work. If the button was pushed in, should it pop out by itself when the throttle lever is moved back into neutral?

I'm going to go down there myself and see if I can figure it out.
Yes, it should pop out when the lever is returned to neutral. I've seen this particular shifter fail with a sticking neutral button more than any other type. But not when new.

Mark

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I went down there, put the handle on it, gave it a good push and... Of course it works fine. I sent a video to the guy, he was very embarrassed. He did a good job drilling the mounting holes though. If I had someone with me I would have just finished the job, but it takes two, one to hold the nut and one to turn the screw. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Well I went down there, put the handle on it, gave it a good push and... Of course it works fine. I sent a video to the guy, he was very embarrassed. He did a good job drilling the mounting holes though. If I had someone with me I would have just finished the job, but it takes two, one to hold the nut and one to turn the screw. Thanks for your help!
These aren't that easy to hold and use when they aren't mounted. Maybe he was holding it by the handle base and inadvertently pushing the lockout button?

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts