SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1979 Montgomery 17 and want to remove the molded galley insert, replacing it with a half-quarterberth.

I'd be grateful for suggestions on which boatyards or individuals in the Seattle area you know of who do high-quality remodeling of this type.

Thanks!

Dan Richman
Shoreline, Wash.
[email protected]

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Dan-

You'd probably be much better off learning how to do it yourself. If you pay someone to do this, it may cost more than the boat is worth to do so. Also, by removing the galley insert, you'll be heavily modifying the boat and may make it very difficult to sell in the future. Finally, the galley insert may be used as a structural element to stiffen the hull, and if that is the case, whatever replacement piece you make must supply the same stiffening as the galley insert did.

You should probably either talk to a marine architect or the Montgomery factory people before making a modification like this.

BTW, don't post your e-mail address like that unless you really want a lot of spam going to it. Also, highly recommend you read the POST in my signature.

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,971 Posts
Don't know anyone in Seattle, tend to be pretty pricey, but I can recommend a great guy in Anacortes if you can get the boat there. Rick Monroe, R&D Enterprises, he's done a lot of work on all my boats, he's honest. Kind of a one man show so it can take awhile to get it in the shop and it WILL take awhile to get it out, but worth it IMHO. 360-293-4155, tell him I gave you his name and you'll get a big discount-HA!
John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dan,
Did you find anyone to do the work that you'd recommend? I need a little fiberglass repair in Seattle, though much less extensive than your job.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
285 Posts
Dan,
Did you find anyone to do the work that you'd recommend? I need a little fiberglass repair in Seattle, though much less extensive than your job.

Thanks,
David
Dave, is your boat trailerable (makes a difference on where you can take it)? If it is, I have just the place.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
A ranger 22 should be trailerable. Whether "Mort" has trailer is another story!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I guess I didn't subscribe to this thread, because I didn't know I had replies. The 22 is trailerable, but I don't have a trailer. I'm moored on Lake Union.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts