SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in Seattle for the day. I was wondering if the boat show has anything of interest for sailors or is it strictly power boats?

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
There is some sailing stuff, but it is primarily power boats.

The on-water show has a fair number of large modern sail boats in it. I didn't go this year, but was kind of curious about the Blue Jacket 40.

The on-land show has a sailing section which is mostly local sailing clubs, sail makers, riggers, and a couple of other booths.

LFS (a store in Bellingham) has a big clearance section with some good deals. They were selling some unlabeled dyneema for $15/lb, which in 3/16" is about 100' of the stuff. The same bin was full of raw mooring-sized lines for $5/lb. They always have good deals on last years inflatable PFDs and some clothing too. I bought a couple pairs of warm $5 gloves to keep for guests on the boat.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Mostly power on the floor however all the gear and service providers are there with lotsa' sail stufgf.

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
I believe ther is a Jeanneau or two or three, along with a few other sailboats at the on water part. I have not seen too many sailboats at the inside one for what seems like decades. BUT, plenty of info to be had for all kinds of boats at the inside one, ie all the major manufactures of boat gear have booths, some retail places etc. Most of the major sailmakers have booths.......

WOrth it if you have the time........I'm probably going to go monday later in the day to the inside. If not, hopefully tuesday or thursday. THe rest of the days, my work schedule etc will not make it happen. Not going to go on a sunday, ie tomorrow, they are closing on saturday instead of running sunday.....with that. GO HAWKS!

marty

·
Registered
90 Posts
I went today. The stadium had some Beneteaus, J-Boats, and dingy sailors. The Oceanis 38 is sexy as hell. That was worth checking out.

On Lake Union, there's a Blue Jacket, Island Packet, some Jeanneaus, and an Oceanis 55. Worth a couple bucks and two hours of your time, but its mostly a power boat event.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm going next Saturday... (last day of the show because of the Super Boul on Sunday). Hopefully find a couple of those "last minute" good deals. Just never know what you might find. Sail boats, power boats, marine vendors, it's all good!

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
It's amazing to me that the show continues to be so power boat focussed considering how many more sailboats live at the major marinas around here. Shilshole, Elliot Bay, and Lake Union all appear to have >50% sailboats at the marinas.

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Sailors are cheapskates, and I expect that there are far, far more new powerboats sold than sailing ones.

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
Paul,

You are very correct on that one.
Sailors are cheap! generally speaking.

Where I am at, only 15-20% are sail boats, the rest power. The % of SB to PB's depend upon the marina. Go to Queen City YC, and it is probably over 90% PB's, then again, 80% is covere moorage, same at Meaydenbauer YC in Bellevue. Part of the reason is the % of covered moorage here in Edmonds too.

Marty

·
A melon with a dream...
208 Posts
I went to the indoor part on Friday and it was worth it. Got some good info from the Raymarine rep, attended an informative seminar, picked up some new docklines and a few other things from the LFS booth, talked to reps at the Port of Port Townsend and Port Townsend Marine Trades Association booths... I am considering relocating there from Seattle given that the environment for liveaboard status is so caustic in this city. With such a maritime heritage as this place has it's amazing that the City Council and Department of Development and Urban Planning haven't been run out of town with burning torches and marlin spikes... but then what do I know... I'm just a lowly sailor on a budget. :rolleyes: Anyhoo... there is plenty to do and see. Don't be daunted by the acres of powerboats.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Sailors are cheapskates, and I expect that there are far, far more new powerboats sold than sailing ones.
I resemble that remark! I will never call a fellow sailor "cheap" (just cause they own a sailboat)! Hoist the colors and give no quarter! :D

No really... There ARE a ton of power boats... lots of them are on trailers in the driveway. Maybe... just maybe, power boats outnumber sailboats because sailing is an endeavor just not everyone can get into, and there is a little more to it than just turning the key and pushing the lever. :)

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,265 Posts
We went on Friday. What continues to amaze me when we go to the show, is that we bump into people that we know or who are acquainted to someone we know. We spent some boat bucks and we were talking to some watermaker reps, who had cut the dock lines in 2011 and are now based down in Mexico. They were asking about our plans and our boat and one of the reps exclaimed "I know your boat, I've been on it!" Turns out they were live aboards at Shilshoal for a while and the gal we bought Nikko from was also a live aboard on the same dock.

Anyway, we were down to buy equipment and not look at boats. We did board one boat just for the hell of it and I feel somewhat snobbish to admit it, but we were snickering when we left it. It was a big old houseboat RV type thing. We could still smell the epoxy curing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts