SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1975 Kent Ranger 24 which is 3100 lb displacment, about 1300 ballast and 4 foot draft. Had it for 7 years and like it. Got it in hopes that my family would enjoy sailing and we would eventually upgrade and go cruising. That hasn’t worked out, so re-assessing. I mostly day sail single handed. I like the size and i feel safe in even pretty lumpy conditions in the Puget Sound. I am glad to have the keel when i encounter freighter wake.. i dont like the gasoline, the outboard, messing with the dinghy, the moorage fee, and although i enjoy doing some maintenance I dont have enough time to really do It as well as I would like.

So..... I’m thinking about changing boats to something like a Norseboat 17.5,Drascombe Lugger, Gig Harbor Jersey Skiff, Nootka Sound, or even a San Juan 21, Cape Dory Typhoon,etc that could go engineless with some R2AK type of rowing or peddling arrangement. Being able to beach it would be a plus.

My concern is how well these boats (especially the open boats) will perform if I get caught out in 20 knot winds. Was hoping to hear from folks that sail these types of boats around here and go out even when its not supposed to be super benign weather.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
You are already used to the Ranger quality and the Ray Richards design... why not down size to a Ranger 20. We sailed an R-20 for five years, and I did some crewing on an R-24.
The Cape Dory would have the basic quality you are used to, but the SJ would not.
Lots of smaller boats on the market from the hay day of pocket cruisers in the 70's -- much to choose from.
Good luck!
:)

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,330 Posts
Except for the Norseboat many of the others you list would require an outboard also. Have you looked at mast up storage options? It would let you lessen the cost of moorage and allow you keep your current boat for less.

·
Super Moderator
4,199 Posts
The Norseboat would be by far my first choice off the list. Sail it, row it. Norseboats get used in raids. They are expensive.

My second choice off the list for what you describe might be the Drascombe Lugger, be sure to eat your wheaties before rowing it. Capable, but I don't think it would be as fast or easy to manage as a Norseboat.

I wouldn't be keen on going engineless for day sailing on something as big as a San Juan 21.

·
Super Moderator
4,199 Posts
The Jersey Skiff and Nootka Sound would be easy to trailer, set up. I think I would be more cautious weather wise with them.

I wouldn't be interested in day sailing a Cape Dory Typhoon off a trailer even with an out board.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My second choice off the list for what you describe might be the Drascombe Lugger, be sure to eat your wheaties before rowing it. Capable, but I don't think it would be as fast or easy to manage as a Norseboat.
I imagine I would sail more than row. I would anticipate rowing the same way I use my outboard - just to get in and out of the marina/anchorage.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,330 Posts
I imagine I would sail more than row. I would anticipate rowing the same way I use my outboard - just to get in and out of the marina/anchorage.
Was there ever a time sailing the Puget Sound where the wind died and you needed the motor to get back home or to continue to your destination?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was there ever a time sailing the Puget Sound where the wind died and you needed the motor to get back home or to continue to your destination?
Rarely yes. My boat doesnt need much wind with its massive headsails. Out of curiosity I tried to paddle it with a kayak paddle. Made about one knot. Enough to claw out of a shipping lane maybe. Something smaller that I could row/paddle/peddle would obviously be easier.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,330 Posts
I once sailed on a boat that might fit your needs similar to the Norseboat. BayRaider 20 | Swallow Yachts. It was a really nice boat, bu the owner was English and I think imported the boat from home at a very pretty penny. If I remember correct I met him through a West Wight Potter group. A 15' Potter might fit your needs. Room to store stuff and even sleep if you are small or limber, many power there's with oars.

·
Super Moderator
4,199 Posts
I wouldn't expect the same light wind sailing perfomance from a Drascombe Lugger as your current boat.

If you like the Gig Harbor boats, check out the SCAMP. John Welsford design. Very seaworthy boat in a 12 foot package and pretty good light air sailors to boot. Heres an article on a cool SCAMP voyage.

I also agree about a Potter 15 being a possibility. I have seen people rowing them.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,330 Posts
I guess I should have also thought of Windriders..... anyone out there sail the Sound in a WR17?
Assuming they would handle the same in San Diego as the Sound, really fun off the wind, nearly useless getting upwind. I rented one and wish it came with a paddle when trying to get back up the channel to the rental place. It's possible this rental was a lemon or missing some important piece of equipment like a dagger or leeboards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts