SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have never owned one but I did help a guy raise the mast on his and I was very impressed with the shear size of this behemoth of a trailerable. He had a big truck to tow it with and he had towed from Oregon up to Point Roberts to sail the San Juans & Gulf Islands. The inside was very spacious and he had quite the ingenious mast raising system. It had to be a retractable keel of sorts to have it on a trailer. Anyway he told me it was made by Hake yachts and that there were a few of them around. It is not one of the cheaper trailerables but you get what you pay for. I liked it but since I already have a boat I won't be buying one, but if you are already interested you should do some research, they seem like a well built boat.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
Hi chathambreeze
While I don't know the boat there are points to consider re fixed keel vs lifting keel. If you sail in a thin water area or wish to trailer then the decision is easy. But if you have no trailering plans and sail in a deeper water area the keel version should be the choice. A deep keel, all else being equal, will point better, possibly be more stable, and have less complication as well. Maintenance of a lifting keel involves keeping the lifting mechanism, whether it is a cable or other method like a worm gear, in good condition. Usually there are dissimilar metals involved or chafe can be an issue. Putting bottom paint on the board and keeping it there is also often a problem. Boards jam as well on occasion. In my area (Pacific Northwest) there would be no advantage to a lifting keel whatsoever unless trailering was planned. I hope this helps.
Brian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts