SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently acquired an old Pearson 28-1 that is in good shape except the chalky old gelcoat. On the right side of cabintop a section of gelcoat has worn through exposing the underlying (whatever that is). Is is possible to successfully apply new gelcoat to repair that area? I was looking at WM and saw a can that has wax to let it cure. Not looking for beautification here. Just want to cover the ugly dark spot showing through and not really ready to paint the whole deck top yet. All else is ok for now. Thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys maybe I'll give James Distributors a call to see what they suggest. Really wish winter wasn't sneaking up so fast. Been having a great time on the bay with the old boat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alex, I am already a bit daft at 52. Each time I go to the boat, I mean to take a good pic of the gelcoat wear to share here. I get so caught up in sailing and all the closing down the boat activity that I inevitably forget. Each and every time. I am caught up in some things that I can't go for a couple weeks. In short it is a rectangular section in front of the starboard cabin window about a foot long and five inches wide. It almost looks like the PO may have over aggressively applied rubbing compound. As dark blackish/blueish material is exposed.

My initial thought was to wetsand and try to Gelcoat the section with a sprayer or some other method. I just need to get smart on materials and technique. Given the age of the boat it seems reasonable that the original gelcoat would be worn but this is the only area where underlying is exposed. I don't think the PO paid much attention to care and feeding of the gelcoat. But he did a fantastic job with the A4 motor and almost everything else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts