SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided on the configuration I want for the companionway drop boards on my Pearson 28 (1976). The original design was two boards, I tried four boards and have settled on three as a compromise between too many and too big and heavy. I made them out of marine plywood, coated them with MAS epoxy and varnished the outsides with Cetol and painted the inside to match the interior color. Now I want to secure them but I really don't know the best method. I've thought two slide bolts mounted horizontally on the lowest board and then locking the uppers using window locks like you find on double sash widows in the house. I will sail most of the time with the lower in place as I intend to fit it with a gps holder, binoc holder and hand compas holder. The uppers would be installed in the unlikely event I am out in the gulf and caught in a storm, and of course when off the boat.
Any good ideas?
John

·
19,489 Posts
If you like the horizontal slide bolts idea, but them on the top board too... the center board will be trapped in place.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
what I did is to drill a hole through the drop rail on the inside of the boat and the board... and use a fast pin to secure it in position. :)

I'd do one for each board, since there may be times when you want to have access but want two dropboards in. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts