SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some input on storing the dinghy on davits with the motor attached. This isn't really my preferred option but due to an injury I will not be able to haul the outboard up and store on the railing separately this season. The davits have a more than adequate rating so no worries there. My question is where to hoist from? I'm a little worried about the stress on the dinghy. It is a Zodiac RIB for reference. Any input is most appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
If high enough, it should be safe. It would help if you added your boat type to your signature.

I don't think the lift points matter as much as how it is secured once up. Some folks meerly secure the dingy against rocking, but in your case you may need tricing lines under the tender.

Simply cris-cross the lines under the dingy and up to the davits, from the tip of one to the root of the other. If done tightly there is no load on the lifting points, though generally a 50/50 distribution will be very good. I have a bad back on occasion and I NEVER remove the engine from the dingy except for service.

Sail Delmarva: All Triced-Up

·
Registered
198 Posts
The motor should be on the dinghy transom in which case mine is wood.
The wood is the lifting point so I would believe there is no stress on the rest of the dinghy. I keep the drain plug open and tilt the dinghy transom down.
This enables rain water to drain out. Hope this helps and makes sense.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. The boat is a Beneteau 361 and the dinghy does sit pretty high out of the water once on the davits.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I'd do it and I wouldn't think twice about it.

You can buy a new dinghy, you can buy a new outboard, you can buy new davits.

You can't buy a new back or a new body.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
If you are going to sail with the dink lifted on davits you need to be aware of the damage that chafe can do if you have movement.

Strap it in real tight. Ratchet straps work well.

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,040 Posts
Get four ratchet straps. Two vertical lift tight to davits, two athwartships to prevent side to side movement. There should be absolutely no play. I do it all the time with a 10'06" RIB with a 15 hp Yamaha 2 stroke. The ratchet straps in the pic are blue.

·
12,163 Posts
Get four ratchet straps. Two vertical lift tight to davits, two athwartships to prevent side to side movement. There should be absolutely no play. I do it all the time with a 10'06" RIB with a 15 hp Yamaha 2 stroke. The ratchet straps in the pic are blue.

We use ratchets also we also have two fenders perpendicular against the stern rail so the dinghy is pressed into them so there is no chance of the dinghy rubbing against metal, a tightly strapped dinghy doesn't move at all and becomes " one with the boat"

Dave

·
Old as Dirt!
3,484 Posts
Frankly, on a 361 that will be a lot of load hanging off of davits, and particularly so in any seaway. A better alternative might be to add an Outboard Crane and store the engine on your rail. For Example the Forespar Nova Lift:

I have only partial use of my left arm and my (much) better half is only 4'-11" and 105# yet, with the Nova Lift, we are easily able to handle our 15hp outboard. The Nova Lift is also effective for recovering other gear and equipment from the dinghy including Jerry jugs of fuel and, on occasion, a squirming, complaining, wet dog.

FWIW...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts