SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you secure your drop boards in place? Locking from outside? Inside? Single lower board in place? Other options?

My solution is what I inherited when I got my I-28. Vault like security isn't a concern. The simple hasp folding down from the sliding companionway hatch cover provides a place for an easily, I would guess, breech able, small brass lock. It serves the purpose of keeping the hatch from sliding open if you rest against it or a strong wind buffets it. An intruder would not be deterred.

The downward tapering teak boards slide into the space created by a vertical recess molded into each side of the companionway opening and a 1/2" thick strip of teak molding fastened by ss screws to the cabin. A routed flute mates the boards upper and lower edges to shed water. Fairly standard.

I am not sure what I want to do about making things more secure. I would like to have more secure closure when we are aboard and below. I would also like to discover a simple way to secure each board in place during rough weather. Gravity is taking care of it now:eek:. Simple and clean are the problems. I can easily build barriers.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Down

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Some races require drop boards be secured.easy way is to mount line stoppers inside and out at base of companion way and run length of bungee between them. That way can disconnect from either side and when not in the stink nothing in the way. Can secure just one or any combo of boards this way. Security is another issue. If you use sliding pin to secure make sure it won't side and lock with you outside. That happened to prior owner of a psc34 I bought. Had to drill large hole to get into the boat. I needed to fabricate another drop board when I bought it. PIA.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
If you want true security, you're going to have to strip out the companionway and install a cut-down steel door and a big heavy deadbolt that latches it in place. The sliding hatch will also need to be beefed up. Anyting else is a compromise.

Still there? Good, because everything is a compromise. Cutting down the number of boards used is a good idea. Beefing up the hasp so it can take a bigger lock is also good. Adding a hasp on the inside so you can lock it from inside also works (or just using a hook and eye closure inside). Reinforcing the area on the sliding cover behind/under the hasp would also probably make sense, though you'll have to make sure the slider still opens far enough for your purposes.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
If I understand correctly you are looking to make it harder to break into your boat for a would be thief. Well hate to tell you but here's the advise I got from my grandfather many years ago a lock is just to keep an honest man honest. If a thief wants in they will find a way. The little lock protects your insurance coverage if they break in the insurance is more likely to cover the loss.

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I understand correctly you are looking to make it harder to break into your boat for a would be thief. Well hate to tell you but here's the advise I got from my grandfather many years ago a lock is just to keep an honest man honest. If a thief wants in they will find a way. The little lock protects your insurance coverage if they break in the insurance is more likely to cover the loss.
Nope! Not concerned about the unwelcome intruder when away from the boat. I agree. If someone really wants in... O! Well! I am looking for a way of securing in place while on the boat.

Down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts