SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning my first trip to MV with my girlfriend (a novice, but capable) in my Westerly 34 (5ft draft) and would love some pointers. I'll be leaving Old Saybrook Ct on Sunday Aug 16th and plan to stop for the night at Pt Judith. Monday morning I intend to head for MV with Cutty as a contingency plan. Assuming I can make MV late Monday afternoon or alternately Tuesday early afternoon, which harbor should I be considering? I'm prepared to anchor but would love to get a slip (are they affordable and available?) or mooring because it's important to us that we have decent access to bathroom/shower facilities. Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,298 Posts
Foargetabout a slip, all harbvors have rental moorings. First advice is to speand a day or two in Vineyard Haven, next Edgartown, skiop the rest.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
"Affordable" is a relative term. Mooring are obviously cheaper and available but there are a few marinas in VH which are comparable in value, have great facilities and are convenient to intra-island transportation access and restaurants, The Black Dog Wharf being among them. For a first-time cruise with your girlfriend, the convenience is usually worth the extra few dollars to ensure she enjoys the trip. Pt J to VH is an easy day trip, Cuttyhunk probably 2-3 hrs less than going to VH.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts