SailNet Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 1966 Morgan 34 suffered a dismasting off the coast of South Carolina in July 2013.

We are seeking to gather data from other vessels equipped with Colligo Marine Titanium Bracket Sets. We would like to know:
  • date of installation
  • # days underway
  • NM traveled
  • # of days under sail
  • NM traveled under sail
  • date of removal if relevant.

If you are an owner and are willing to share this information or can provide contact information for an owner please email Mr. Lovett at [email protected]

Additional background information is available at our website SV-CestlaVie.blogspot.com

If you know of an owner or know of a vessel equipped with identical brackets please pass along my email address.

Thank You.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Colligo seems to be distancing themselves pretty aggressively from you based on the post on their website but, of course, they're in the best position to be contacting owners even if it's to bolster their legal defense. Any idea if they've been reaching out to owners?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is Colligo Marine's belief that key facts have been omitted from the as described events, and we disagree wholeheartedly with any actual or implied accusations made herein. However, due to the ongoing nature of these legal proceedings, and out of respect for the legal process, Colligo Marine will make no further comments regarding this matter.

Colligo Marine is a well established industry leader, having rigged over 750 boats worldwide. We take great pride in our customer service, and stand behind our quality products. Please feel free to contact our knowledgeable staff with any questions, and check out our website at Colligo Marine - Rigging reduced to its elegant essentials. - Colligo Marine - Synthetic Rigging.

·
Registered
488 Posts
All of the above aside, I recently replaced all my lifelines with Dyneema SK75. I love the stuff and I'm considering replacing my rod rigging with synthetics when it's due.

·
Registered
547 Posts
It is Colligo Marine's belief that key facts have been omitted from the as described events, and we disagree wholeheartedly with any actual or implied accusations made herein. However, due to the ongoing nature of these legal proceedings, and out of respect for the legal process, Colligo Marine will make no further comments regarding this matter.

Colligo Marine is a well established industry leader, having rigged over 750 boats worldwide. We take great pride in our customer service, and stand behind our quality products. Please feel free to contact our knowledgeable staff with any questions, and check out our website at Colligo Marine - Rigging reduced to its elegant essentials. - Colligo Marine - Synthetic Rigging.
John,
I understand Colligo's position but would strongly encourage you to track down as many owners as possible if you aren't already. If there's a problem with these components, your proactive steps to address it will work in your favor, legally and otherwise, and may save property and lives. If there is no inherent problem with these components, the other owners' experiences will bolster your case. No matter how you slice it, it's what you should do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IStream, I appreciate your comments and perspective.

At this time, I am advised to limit my comments and posted information solely to searching for owners of vessels equipped with Colligo Marine Titanium Brackets.

Thanks for your interest in the matter.

·
Registered
286 Posts
John,
I understand Colligo's position but would strongly encourage you to track down as many owners as possible if you aren't already...
Having dealt with John, and being one of the "750 boats" rigged worldwide, I'm sure he's already on top of this, in some form or another. He is a straight-up guy if I've ever met one.

Furthermore, the OP's timeline of the incident ("...July 2013") does not correlate with Colligo's official response, which I must assume is highly fact based. Now, perhaps the OP has his dates mixed up, but it has me raisin' an eyebrow...

Note: I have no affiliation with Colligo, just another happy customer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RocketScience,

Not sure what "OP" means. But I believe you are addressing me. I politely request that you review the information we posted on our website - SV-CestlaVie.blogspot.com

The first dismasting of a vessel equipped with Colligo Marine Titanium Brackets was an Allied Princess 36. This dismasting occurred in May 2012.

Our vessel, C'est la Vie's, dismasting occurred on July 5, 2013.

The document you refer to as "Colligo's official response" was published in mid to late July 2013. The document is in response to comments posted by the owner of the Allied Princess 36 on the Seven Seas Cruising Association Message Board after he learned of C'est la Vie's dismasting.

I hope this explanation will lower your eyebrow. I'm certain that this is more than I should be saying on the topic.

The fact that you have a readily available a link to relatively obscure document published by Colligo Marine in summer 2013 has me rasin' an eyebrow.

Good Day,

·
Registered
286 Posts
RocketScience,

Not sure what "OP" means.
Original poster, and yes, I was referring to you.

...The first dismasting of a vessel equipped with Colligo Marine Titanium Brackets was an Allied Princess 36. This dismasting occurred in May 2012.

Our vessel, C'est la Vie's, dismasting occurred on July 5, 2013...
Then I stand corrected, and therefore apologize for confusing your incident with that of the Allied Princess.

...I hope this explanation will lower your eyebrow. I'm certain that this is more than I should be saying on the topic.

The fact that you have a readily available a link to relatively obscure document published by Colligo Marine in summer 2013 has me rasin' an eyebrow.
It took me a whopping 28 seconds to find the document via Google.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rob (RocketScience),

Apology accepted.

In my rush to respond to your initial comment I forgot to ask... Is your Pretorien 35 is outfitted with Colligo Marine Titanium Brackets?

We crewed on a Pretorien 35 in the 2013 Port Huron to Mackinac Race. After the race we delivered the vessel back to Cleveland, OH via the North Passage and Georgian Bay. We found the Pretorien 35 to be stoutly build and well behaved in some less than favorable conditions.

Have a good afternoon,

·
Registered
286 Posts
Rob (RocketScience),

...In my rush to respond to your initial comment I forgot to ask... Is your Pretorien 35 is outfitted with Colligo Marine Titanium Brackets?...
No.

Because Wauquiez's are of a European build, their rig components (specifically chainplates in this case) sport metric clevis pin diameters, so tangs were custom fabricated from stainless steel to facilitate the interface with Colligo's 'off the shelf' imperial sized terminators. Since custom tangs were needed at the chainplates, I just followed suit with custom tangs at the mast connections.

We crewed on a Pretorien 35 in the 2013 Port Huron to Mackinac Race. After the race we delivered the vessel back to Cleveland, OH via the North Passage and Georgian Bay. We found the Pretorien 35 to be stoutly build and well behaved in some less than favorable conditions.
The P35 will take you anywhere, a true blue water boat. Hal Roth can attest to that.

Wait, what's this?.....a package just arrived from BFS Gear......Let's see....Hmmm, it's a window sticker...."I am a Blue Water Chucklehead."

Dang, looks like the Pretorien has gotta go.

Sorry Steve, I couldn't resist....:devil

Cheers

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
No.

Because Wauquiez's are of a European build, their rig components (specifically chainplates in this case) sport metric clevis pin diameters, so tangs were custom fabricated from stainless steel to facilitate the interface with Colligo's 'off the shelf' imperial sized terminators. Since custom tangs were needed at the chainplates, I just followed suit with custom tangs at the mast connections.

The P35 will take you anywhere, a true blue water boat. Hal Roth can attest to that.

Wait, what's this?.....a package just arrived from BFS Gear......Let's see....Hmmm, it's a window sticker...."I am a Blue Water Chucklehead."

Dang, looks like the Pretorien has gotta go.

Sorry Steve, I couldn't resist....:devil

Cheers
Quite right.

You, sir, are a Blue Water Chucklehead!

Anyway, doesn't she rate a 132? Not bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Recently a lawsuit that was filed against Colligo Marine was voluntarily dismissed by the plaintiffs. It is Colligo Marine’s firm opinion that Jeff and Ann Lovett’s dismasting on the 34’ Morgan Sloop Cie L’ vie occurred because of their ill advised structural changes to the boat. Changing a keel stepped mast to a deck stepped mast requires a spar that is at least 40% stiffer. Using the existing 45
year old, corroded, keel stepped mast, cutting it off and making it a deck stepped mast is ill advised. These structural changes to the boat are, in our opinion, most likely the cause of the dismasting. Colligo Marine Hardware is not designed for a
structure that does not meet a Naval Architects Approval.

Collligo Marine has rigged over 750 Boats world wide with Colligo Dux Synthetic Standing Rigging. See more of our great products at Colligo Marine - Rigging reduced to its elegant essentials. - Colligo Marine - Synthetic Rigging .

John Franta, Colligo Marine

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Recently a lawsuit that was filed against Colligo Marine was voluntarily dismissed by the plaintiffs. It is Colligo Marine’s firm opinion that Jeff and Ann Lovett’s dismasting on the 34’ Morgan Sloop Cie L’ vie occurred because of their ill advised structural changes to the boat. Changing a keel stepped mast to a deck stepped mast requires a spar that is at least 40% stiffer. Using the existing 45
year old, corroded, keel stepped mast, cutting it off and making it a deck stepped mast is ill advised. These structural changes to the boat are, in our opinion, most likely the cause of the dismasting. Colligo Marine Hardware is not designed for a
structure that does not meet a Naval Architects Approval.

Collligo Marine has rigged over 750 Boats world wide with Colligo Dux Synthetic Standing Rigging. See more of our great products at Colligo Marine - Rigging reduced to its elegant essentials. - Colligo Marine - Synthetic Rigging .

John Franta, Colligo Marine
See there's always a rest of the story.. Rube Golberging at its finest and this is Coligo's fault? Yeah right......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts