SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father’s 80th birthday is coming this year, and he has always had a longtime interest in sailing. It's always been a dream of his to be part of a sailing crew. Basically, he would like to sail on a boat at least 50 ft long for 7-14 days. My family would be willing to pay more than is customary for shared basic expenses. We would be willing to fly out anywhere.

He is mentally alert, and very responsible. He understands the basics of sailing, and did some as a child. He is in good shape for his age, and capable of doing the normal crew responsibilities within his physical limitations. (he probably wouldn't want to climb up a mast.) He would actually enjoy manning the helm at night.

He is in an army veteran, owned and operated a ranch and a travel agency, and has a pilot’s license. He has good character, a good sense of humor, and is very easy to get along with.

If you had room aboard your boat, I could also accompany him (I’m 39). I know very little about sailing, but am a quick learner and would come prepared. Anyway, please let me know if this is something that is possible. I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
It would help if you told us his/your location...

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Why not try a schooner charter out of Maine? Safe, fun, right duration, family can accompany, beautiful location, can help run the boat as much or little as desired, great food. We once sailed on Heritage out of Rockland ME for a week AND IT WAS A BLAST. Great captain and crew. We even had an older gentleman doing much the same as your father wants to do.

Schooner Heritage
www.schoonerheritage.com/
Join Captains Doug and Linda Lee for a Maine sailing vacation aboard the windjammer Schooner Heritage, built in 1983: great Maine sailing, great food, and ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not try a schooner charter out of Maine? Safe, fun, right duration, family can accompany, beautiful location, can help run the boat as much or little as desired, great food. We once sailed on Heritage out of Rockland ME for a week AND IT WAS A BLAST. Great captain and crew. We even had an older gentleman doing much the same as your father wants to do.

Schooner Heritage
The Maine Windjammer Heritage - Sailing the Coast of Maine
Join Captains Doug and Linda Lee for a Maine sailing vacation aboard the windjammer Schooner Heritage, built in 1983: great Maine sailing, great food, and ...
Thank you. That does look like fun, but I don't think he would want overnight stays, and it might be too comfortable for him. He would prefer it be a private vessel. He had actually mentioned traveling from California to Hawaii in his example to us.

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
Thank you. That does look like fun, but I don't think he would want overnight stays, and it might be too comfortable for him. He would prefer it be a private vessel. He had actually mentioned traveling from California to Hawaii in his example to us.
How do you get from California to Hawaii without staying on the boat overnight?

If you are willing to pay someone, that person will have to be a licensed captain, otherwise in the U.S. it's illegal to take paying passengers. Finding someone to make such a trip without payment may be tough.

I think I'd go with a regular week-long charter on a captained boat and call it a happy birthday.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
These are really cool trips. You get to do as much or little as you like. He could likely spend some time at the helm (with supervision of course) and get to pull on a few lines, then sit down and relax. I think they even let you participate in setting courses and what not if you are interested. Or you can sit on deck and read a book if that is your thing. Very close to a private vessel, but are equipped more to handle passengers, and especially emergencies. Very accessible for an older person. My father is 83, and still works full time, but I don't think I would want him on a private vessel as there is a lot of climbing around even on a 60 footer. The Schooner cruses are kind of a hybrid of small private vessel and a cruise ship. The staterooms are nice but not going to be "too comfortable" actually very close to a regular private boat often shared facilities. I would not count them out as they are very nice. If you do it in the North East they have some of the best weather in the summer as well and fresh lobster! In the winter they are down in the islands.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with DRFerron. Charter a boat with a captain, and take as many of your family along as you desire.

If you're thinking of him crewing a boat delivery or other type of passage, that might be more complicated than either of you expect.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
If you're saying that he wants to SAIL from California to Hawaii on a private vessel, that's a big ask. A trip like that is not to be taken lightly and crew space is usually reserved for essential crew and or the family that may own the boat. Also, that size range it pretty big....

The Bahamas and Caribbean have lots of charter options where you can have a captain along and be a very participatory member of the crew. You may be able to arrange some passages between islands and destinations that require overnight sailing.

Why the desire for a private vessel? That makes the task significantly more difficult to achieve.

MedSailor

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,415 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How do you get from California to Hawaii without staying on the boat overnight?

If you are willing to pay someone, that person will have to be a licensed captain, otherwise in the U.S. it's illegal to take paying passengers. Finding someone to make such a trip without payment may be tough.

I think I'd go with a regular week-long charter on a captained boat and call it a happy birthday.
I mean not stopping at locations each night. He would be happy to stay on the boat at night. ;-) He wants to be a member of the crew.. definitely wouldn't want to be classified as a passenger. I'm sure there is some way that it could be worked out.. ;o

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You could EASILY charter a captained boat out of the Chesapeake, the BVIs, Florida, or New England.

To help you get started; here is a company in Rhode Island (Narragansett Bay) that will work with you, to set up what you want; Narragansett Sailing School -Rhode Island - Charters - Fractional - 401-649-1754[/url]
Here is another in Florida, the BVIs and NY; Florida Sailing School ? The Best Sailing Courses in Florida | Offshore Sailing School[/url]
Thank you. Unless I'm mistaken, those appear to be along the lines of a "vacation" type voyage or sailing lessons. He is looking for something a little more authentic than that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts