SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will do the net search but want to ask here first! She's at Stansbury yacht basin (interesting place)

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found one!

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well August 2nd is the Day of reckoning!
Stansbury yacht basin just off the Middle River
Meeting surveyor & broker (don't know about the owner) about 8:00 a.m. splash at 11:00 sea trials for the day, I have a temporary slip for a couple weeks but I'm staying at a hotel for the next two nights we're going to spoil myself good or bad!

·
Registered
24,512 Posts
Good luck today!

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It's been a long day! The boat points & sails well, steers and handles well, AC works, refrigeration works, autopilot works most of the electronics work, windicator works Garmin works would be a great boat if....it wasn't SINKING!

They didn't like to hear what I had to say; "I think the keel needs to be re-bed" broker called me said the owner found a leaking through hull I don't believe it but we'll see.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Yikes! I hope it turns out to be something fixable that doesn't tank the sale!

If you don't mind my asking, who was your surveyor? I'm looking for someone to do an insurance survey in Middle River.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Older guy Curt Saratt I can pm you his phone number.
I felt like he was a boat mechanic more than a surveyor but he was pretty thorough, he didn't like me telling him what to do but, men generally don't like me telling them what to do LOL. He actually went through the trouble to make the air conditioning system work instead of just chalking it down as not working, water pump was difficult to get primed and me, being in the air conditioning business most of my life had lots to say about it. Lol

I'm going back to the boat today to check up on it the broker called me 2 times last night to make sure I know the owner apparently fixed the problem.

·
Registered
24,512 Posts
What made you draw the conclusion the keel bedding had failed? Was that the surveyor’s opinion?

·
Registered
2003 Hunter 356
67 Posts
I will do the net search but want to ask here first! She's at Stansbury yacht basin (interesting place)
Curious of Stansbury, could I get your impression...

Also good luck and hope your surveyor was thorough...

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put the whole deal on hold! The owner is probably going to have to pull the boat when the lift is available again

People don't like it when somebody knows more than they know, mmost of you don't know that I've studied boats from most of my life. The hunter database and Hunter 34 specifically I researched before going to look at the boat, Hunter used epoxy to set their keelss when they built the boat. 30 + years epoxy cracks and water will always find a way as we all know.. it may not be the keel joint and I hope it's not, the owner keeps insisting it's a through hull. I am however forever doubtful.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Curious of Stansbury, could I get your impression...

Also good luck and hope your surveyor was thorough...
It's woman owned operated by woman named Pat very nice lady the marina in general is rather basic has all the facilities a little Beach, parking lot of stone not paved it's definitely not a high-end

·
Registered
201 Posts
Stansbury is very near where we keep our boat! In fact we sometimes get fuel (reg gas, not diesel from there). I think I've met Pat once or twice getting said fuel. So unpaved sounds about right for the area. That is a small marina, I'm betting they are just treading water financially. Larger ones in the area probably make it tough for them.

Best of luck to you!

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stansbury is very near where we keep our boat! In fact we sometimes get fuel (reg gas, not diesel from there). I think I've met Pat once or twice getting said fuel. So unpaved sounds about right for the area. That is a small marina, I'm betting they are just treading water financially. Larger ones in the area probably make it tough for them.

Best of luck to you!
The two or three marinas in that same area look all about the same rather rustic.. I don't know how you could even suggest they're in financial trouble without knowing that's kind of unfair.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The two or three marinas in that same area look all about the same rather rustic.. I don't know how you could even suggest they're in financial trouble without knowing that's kind of unfair.
I've been in the area for 10 years, its just an observation and no offense was intended. I like the folks there and hope nothing but the best for them, which is why we get gas there when we need it.

·
Registered
24,512 Posts
Sorry to hear your deal isn’t working out. Again, what did the surveyor say about the water in the bilge?

I read that you knew, going in, these keels were bed in epoxy, which cracks over time. Therefore, if it wasn’t leaking today, it could have started tomorrow. Would you have bought the boat, if it were dry?

I’d certainly try to identify the leak, for certain, before negotiating the survey. However, if that’s the only problem, I wouldn’t put it all on hold. Sounds addressable.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Surveyor spent a better part of two or three hours lying down by the bilge monitoring.

the owner claims it was dry after he tightened a through hull, and it wasn't today when I went to check,

surveyor said don't buy, it.
you can't make a decision until they find out why the bilge is filling so quick,

I called a broker and told him I'm ready to cut my losses and walk but still willing to listen and if they do decide to pull the boat again I would like to be there.

·
Registered
24,512 Posts
I’d have said, if you are willing to haul the boat, identify the cause of the leak and address it, under my supervision, I’m ready to proceed. That gives you the upper hand, with no absolute commitment. Unless, you have a reason not to want it, even if addressed. Saying you‘re going to walk is not a good faith negotiation, just a threat.

Do you believe this was a surprise to them? Did anyone confirm it’s salt water?

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My surveyor bless his heart is going back to try and determine where the water is coming in,

Broker would sell me a sunken boat as long as he gets his commission! I am negotiating but I always add that I will walk if I am not happy because the brokers promised to make me happy.

They are Offering to take off 1800 not enough to make me happy I will only proceed if I can get an answer on where and how much water is coming in if water is coming in.

Minn, you have me slightly confused, are you in the area is what you're saying?

·
Registered
24,512 Posts
No, Denise, I’m not in your area. What gave you that impression? I’ve been in Maine for a week now.

I’m just saying that a leak, which hasn’t caused any damage, should not be an absolute deal breaker. The seller should simply fix it and your surveyor should identify the cause.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, Denise, I’m not in your area. What gave you that impression? I’ve been in Maine for a week now.

I’m just saying that a leak, which hasn’t caused any damage, should not be an absolute deal breaker. The seller should simply fix it and your surveyor should identify the cause.
Okay I understand it was the wording of your post #17 that threw me.

It really is the only issue I have with the boat and it is an important issue but "they" keep trying to downplay it hopefully tomorrow they'll find the leak.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts