SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting real tired of never finding a tool or worse having to buy a too that I know I already own

I'm also now finally moved out of my house and refitting the boat it seems like the perfect time to consolidate and organize

Have you seen any workshop ideas that you wanted to build? Got any pictures of some cool widget you saw on a boat once?

·
aka $tingy Sailor
104 Posts
The coolest workshop that I know of is mine :cool: Not that it's the perfect workshop, but the fact that I even have one. I use for everything from turning pens to Christmas gifts to reproduction furniture. Oh, and sailboat projects too.

It's 16'x24' in the middle of my detached garage. It's a bit rough. It and the house are 75 years old, but it works well for me. My workhorse machines are two Shopsmiths. I know, "real" woodworkers turn their noses up at multifunction machines and I would too if I could afford better. But they haven't stopped me from making anything I wanted. One is a 1954 110v and one is an 80's 220v (I only had to give $100 for it!). Two are nice because I can have several attachments set up at all times. And the 220v unit has more than enough torque for the toughest jobs.

In the attached photos, you can also see the built-in router station, hollow chisel mortise, and miter saw. It's a bit messy there right now because I have several projects going: topside teak refinishing, hatch repair, running rigging replacement, rewiring, and a custom electric bass guitar.

Some of it's better features are:
  • Cabinets from our kitchen remodel
  • Plenty of artificial and natural light
  • Lots of electrical outlets
  • 2-1/2 vacuum system at bench height to remote shop vac
  • Blue flame propane heat w/box fan circulator/filter

To see some of the projects that I've done in there, head over to my blog at the address in my signature. Subscribe and you'll be notified when more are posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
The one in my dreams... My wife and I are looking for a new house right now, with one of the criteria being a big enough space for a real workshop. I am tired of having all my tools stacked on top of each other.

·
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The coolest workshop that I know of is mine :cool: Not that it's the perfect workshop, but the fact that I even have one. I use for everything from turning pens to Christmas gifts to reproduction furniture. Oh, and sailboat projects too.

It's 16'x24' in the middle of my detached garage. It's a bit rough. It and the house are 75 years old, but it works well for me. My workhorse machines are two Shopsmiths. I know, "real" woodworkers turn their noses up at multifunction machines and I would too if I could afford better. But they haven't stopped me from making anything I wanted. One is a 1954 110v and one is an 80's 220v (I only had to give $100 for it!). Two are nice because I can have several attachments set up at all times. And the 220v unit has more than enough torque for the toughest jobs.

In the attached photos, you can also see the built-in router station, hollow chisel mortise, and miter saw. It's a bit messy there right now because I have several projects going: topside teak refinishing, hatch repair, running rigging replacement, rewiring, and a custom electric bass guitar.

Some of it's better features are:
  • Cabinets from our kitchen remodel
  • Plenty of artificial and natural light
  • Lots of electrical outlets
  • 2-1/2 vacuum system at bench height to remote shop vac
  • Blue flame propane heat w/box fan circulator/filter

To see some of the projects that I've done in there, head over to my blog at the address in my signature. Subscribe and you'll be notified when more are posted.
LOL not Quite what I had in mind While I do love it I'm thinking that ain't gonna fit aboard :)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I love shops , all my life I have had one, at first my dads garage, wood tools and mechanics tools . Then my own garage pretty much the same thing , but more on the mech. side . Then full blown machine shop / a little wood shop on the side . And now I have no shop ! I get by OK thanks . My boat is kind of my shop . If I need to have some lumber ripped I just go to the shipyard and pay for it . Lucky me there is a little machine shop next door , if I need that . I know financially having a shop of my own now will not work . However I do miss it . But to answer your question about how to set up a shop ,I would say keep it simple , and get a good work bench . Hey by the way if you want to see the most awesome wood shop wood work bench ever . Do a history search for awesome work benches by the hip chick Denise30 .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts