SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have gotten most of my seacocks apart to lap and grease but can't get the last two. They are spartan cone plugs.

I've tried:
Heat gun
Pb blaster
Hitting with dead blow hammer
PVC for increased leverage ( I started to bend the handle so that's not the ticket)

I'm out of ideas. Is the next step to remove the whole thing and replace?
 

·
One of None
Joined
·
8,040 Posts
I hope the boat is out of the water.. You can try a puller but as a pusher for the core. after taking the nut off the back. hoook the puller on the body if possible and use the turn bolt to push the core. there should be a center mark were the threads come through the nut. (you did remove the nut right?, of at least loosen it a few turns)

Maine sail, one of our esteemed advisers shows you how here. http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/tapered_cone_seacocks
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,808 Posts
So I have gotten most of my seacocks apart to lap and grease but can't get the last two. They are spartan cone plugs.

I've tried:
Heat gun
Pb blaster
Hitting with dead blow hammer
PVC for increased leverage ( I started to bend the handle so that's not the ticket)

I'm out of ideas. Is the next step to remove the whole thing and replace?
Remove the nuts from the end of the cone then put one on deep enough to protect the end threads. Now, using a lead, wood or brass mallet quickly tap the end of the nut towards the handle side of the cone. This is how you get a stuck cone out of the body. Trying it with the handle end will only serve to break the seacock....

I've done piles of them this way and have yet to have one defeat me..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,399 Posts
When I purchased Tempest, all the Spartans were seized in the open position.

It took time and patience. I was on stands..so I was able to take the hoses off, I took the weep screws out and then let the PB blaster stew in there overnight. I sprayed from outside and inside. As Mainsail said I tapped the nut end. His advice is spot on, since I managed to peen over the threads of the 1st one I tried tapping out. Luckily It was minor and I was able to repair the threads. I used a rubber mallet with a short block of wood with the nut out to protect the threads

It took about 3 days of applying blaster, tapping a little, then letting it sit overnight, but I got them all out intact.

Unless they are damaged, which I doubt, I would not replace them. They are bullet-proof seacocks imo. Worth all the time it took to restore them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got one of them... it was the brass hammer and a few minutes of tapping that did it. Just as I was begninning to doubt, it just slid right out.

The other one is proving a little more difficult. I sprayed it pretty good with PB Blaster last night though and am going back this evening for another round of tapping.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top