SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
My experience is the same as quickstep’s.
In my case the buyer asked a question which the surveyor wouldn’t know so I answered it. He emphatically said he didn’t ask me and only wanted the surveyor to answer. I went up top and didn’t say another word.

·
Registered
261 Posts
SOP is to run the engine at maximum continuous rated RPMs for at least a minute…would that be a problem for y’all?

·
Registered
261 Posts
You shouldn’t have to actually sail, a surveyor should be able to tell by inspection if the boat is sound. If you need to sail with a rail in the water it sounds like you’re not familiar with the boat and want to test its capabilities, that’s not what a sea trial is for, when you decide you want to buy the boat is when you should know what is capable of.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yes, the surveyor will put it in gear, the engine needs to be under load. In my case we did it at dock, I didn’t have engine temperature gauges, so he used a laser thermometer to check engine temperatures and possibly a handheld tachometer. I was at the controls at all times, he was down below monitoring the engine.
In addition we later did a sea trial of sorts, we motored to the yard to pull the boat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts