SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm selling my current boat, no broker involved. If a prospective buyer wants to have it surveyed, how should that be handled? What should I have written up before I allow the yard to lift the boat? My concern is, how do I make sure the prospective buyer pays the yard? If he stiffs the yard, they would expect me to pay... I will either take it to the yard myself or accompany the buyer. This is my first big boat sale, any advice is appreciated........

Rich

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Good question...
Perhaps get the cost from the yard in writing... give it to the prospect. Have him pay you and you pay the yard.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Generally, a contract to purchase the boat is completed and an escrow deposited before a survey. The survey represents a serious commitment to buy the boat. The cost of the survey and yard is paid by the buyer. The terms of the escrow state that any payments owed by the buyer that are not covered will come out of the escrow. This is what will protect you from the yard. If they buyer walks away from the purchase and doesn't pay the yard, you pay with his money out of the escrow.

Since you don't have a broker or escrow service involved, you will need to draw up an escrow contract agreeable to the buyer where you hold the money with the terms of returning or keeping spelled out. We have done it this way for purchasing 3 boats and selling 2.

Mark

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
You are not going to let him pull the boat until you have a signed contract. The contract should specify the purchase price, the equipment included in the sale, and a date by which the purchaser has to have his survey completed and the sale closed. That contract should also have a clause that obligates him to pay the haul out fees.

·
Registered
24,691 Posts
Agreed. Written contract, 10% escrow and right of offset. Among many other agreements, includes specific dates things must be done by. No deal gets better with age, especially discretionary purchases. Keep it moving along.

You will, however, retain fully liability for the boat, until their final check clears. If it fell out of the travel lift slings, the prospective buyer walks away and you deal with the marina.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Buyer is contracting with both yard and surveyor for haul out, your only obligation is delivery of boat to yard. Your boat but his survey. Surveyor will probably do static inspection and sea trial either before or after haul. I usually arrange for a "lunch time" haul for surveys, you are last hauled before workers go to lunch and leave you in the slings for an hour then launch. Usually cheaper that way.

·
Registered
24,691 Posts
Depending on where you are, hauling this time of year can be a hassle, if they are in full winter haul mode. Most marinas will sympathize with the need and squeeze you in, but timing can be difficult.

Reactions: SanderO
1 - 9 of 9 Posts