SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering if someone can beat my "senior moment" when doing some servicing.

My bilge pump was not sounding so good so I took it out to check it. It is a Jabasco and is situated away from the bilge and in an awkward place.
Originally I took the bilge pipe off to see if it was blocked. Blew down it and indeed it was. Then i saw it had a joker type vale in it meaning it would stop anything going back.. (Senior moment 1). Checked the other end by blowing the other way and all was fine.

Took the housing to the impella off the pump and opened it up. The impella was broken...
Replaced and checked everything. Spent 2 hours upside down putting it all back where it should be. I didn't want the pump to run dry so I put water in the bilge for it to be sucked out.
Instead of sucking the water out the bilge pump was sucking in. I had put the impella housing back the wrong way round!!!!

I suppose we learn by our mistakes but what senior moments have you had.

·
Administrator
7,944 Posts
Hey? What was the question?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I leave my wallet, phone sunglasses, keys, tools, etc. at various places and I can never remember where. It least I can call my phone and find it, but my wife is getting increasingly frustrated with finding my stuff everywhere. :D

Reactions: Allen Phinney

·
Administrator
5,922 Posts
It's not boat related and I don't know what kind of moment it was, but last month I called my mother "John."

She looked at me oddly and said "You don't call me John, I won't call you Bill (my father)."

Oops.

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,071 Posts
These are a few fairly recent SM's I remember.....singlehanding, trying to leave the dock before all of the dock lines were cast off.....forgot to cleat off the anchor rode one time........sailing around with the swim ladder deployed.....cranking hard on the mainsheet trying to get the belly out of the sail, forgetting I hadn't eased the topping lift....left the propane canister at ACE hardware after filling it up, and didn't realize it until I was at anchor in the river that night.

I've always had brit for shains but this is getting ridiculous.......

Reactions: jrd22

·
Senior Moment Member
13,292 Posts
There are three things that happen to you as you age; first your legs go, then you lose your sex drive and..... I can't remember what the third one is.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I have a habit of lifting my sunglasses over my head onto my hair to hold them in position while I do other things... one day I was looking furiously for my sunglasses, going up and down the stairs, one room into the other... kitchen through garage, out to the car... no glasses finally so tired of looking I ask my wife if she'd seen them... then she burst out in laughter... that got me a little upset... till she pointed at my head and said reach up... I felt like an idiot to say the least... That was my senior moment! :laugher

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have many, to many to count.

One of my favorites was i went up for a evening sail by myself. So.... i was in kinda of a hurry as i wanted to make the best of the daylight remaining.
Unhooked the electrical, started the engine to warm it up, jumped on the dock and threw the dock lines aboard. Did it in record time.
Floored the boat and got about 8 feet out, when i realized that something was drastically wrong. My boat had my neighbors 42 footer in tow! Oh crap; i'd forgotten we had stern tied to keep the aft ends off the docks.
With some manuevering i managed to come back quick. I had to run all the way around the docks to the aft end of his boat to untie as i had run the eye thru my cleat so it couldn't be untied.
I sprinted back to my boat and leaped off the dock back aboard as i hadn't tied my boat to the dock when i came back in.
I non-chalantly pulled out, the whole while trying to catch my breath.

I can't say i'll never do that again; but i'll try.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,292 Posts
It's not boat related and I don't know what kind of moment it was, but last month I called my mother "John."

She looked at me oddly and said "You don't call me John, I won't call you Bill (my father)."

Oops.
Wait a few years - you'll have to run through the family names until you get a hit.

Reactions: bljones

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Leaving the fuel valve closed after changing the filters. Just enough gas in the carbs to get out into the harbor, once just between the jetties on a windy day (can you get the anchor down fast--I can).

Qualifies as a senior moment since I did it twice.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I leave my wallet, phone sunglasses, keys, tools, etc. at various places and I can never remember where. It least I can call my phone and find it, but my wife is getting increasingly frustrated with finding my stuff everywhere. :D
Doesn't count until you lose you glasses on your nose.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
I'm too young to be able to write off my mental lapses as senior moments. Instead, they still fall under the category of general dumbassery.
Which leads me on to what happens when a general dumbass turns left in Senility Avenue ? The Wombet is finding out, much to her horror.

(that me being the GD not the Wombet)

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,970 Posts
Apart from normal minor mistakes (leaving the shore power cord connected to the dock while trying to back out of the slip, forgetting to flip the windlass breaker on until on the bow ready to raise the hook, approaching a dock with the fenders on the wrong side, not pulling the dink in prior to approaching a dock, etc) I can't think of any senior moments I've had lately. Well, except a couple of months ago driving the car in town (I run a boat much more often than a car) I was parallel parked and so I turned the wheel hard to starboard and put the car in drive expecting the stern to swing out so it would be easier to back out of the slip....

·
Registered
701 Posts
Drove in to my berth just like last thousands of time and wondering why boat isn't behaving like the last thousands of time. After docked, step on to pontoon look back and voila! Mainsail still flying high and proud!
Oops!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Even at the tender age of 51 I find myself thinking about the hereafter more and more.

I walk into a room and stop and think, what the heck am I here after.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
One of the things I do almost two thirds of the time I take my sailboat out, is to forget to cut on any of the electronics. I never notice in the harbor, but as soon as I go past the breakwater, I look down to plot my course, and realize everything is off and even still has the plastic covers on them. :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts