SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take care of several properties and families on a Lake in North Idaho. I have a client that is older and wants to continue to sail. He is an experianced sailer but his mobility is not good. I am looking for suggestions for a boat for him. He wants pedestal steering so he can stand, roller furling main and jib and be able to single hand. Any feed back is appreciated. I am selling his Herrschoff 12.5 climbing in and out raising And lowering the main was not fun for
him. He has single handed from Seattle to Hawaii in his younger years. It is a big lake with anything from day sailers to 45 footers.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Tom

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Need to play 20 Questions a bit to help the experts help you.

Does he want to downsize?
How big a boat, length, beam?
Trailerable, docked, moored?
How deep is the lake, minimum depth?
What kinds of weather & sea-states (worst case) to handle?
What kind of accomodations?
Day-sailing only, or extended cruises (duration) too?
Racing, cruising, both?
Preference for keel type, or centerboard?
New, used, custom-made?
Materials preference: wood, metal, plastic, composite?
How deep are his pockets?

This should get the snowball rolling; good luck.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
Very tough call. Here is the spec for the Herrschoff 12.5:
HERRESHOFF 12 1/2 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

which is a beautiful, old school, gaff rigged main sail sloop. It is also a beautiful boat to look at which tells me he is unlikely to be impressed by the more modern equivalents which look like Bleach bottles by comparison. Bigger boats also require more work to set up for sailing so I'm not sure if that is the answer either.

I'm thinking that his solo sailing days may be over. I'd try to find him someone who could be a reliable crew member (paid, or not) to help him sail his H 12.5.

Tough call all around.

·
Old enough to know better
4,346 Posts
Perhaps a smaller Nunsuch with electric winches.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Registered
570 Posts
I agree that more specifics are needed. The stand up helm and the roller furling main take a lot of smaller boats out of the equation. 28' and above there are lots of boats that would probably work for him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts