SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My search for this came up empty, although I'm sure it's been discussed. My solar panel is only 100w/5.7a (optimum current), and it would be really convenient to bundle the solar cables with the ais and vhf antenna's (and some of the Seatalk-ng cables as well). What is the latest word on running those things together? Would there be any interference in any of the signals by doing that?

Ray

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took Maine Sails advice and got the Genasun gv-10 controller. The cabling in question is mostly the Seatalk-ng for one gps antenna, and I believe a smaller diameter (maybe rg-8?) for the passive gps antenna going to the ais unit. I can separate them if it's at all an issue..

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I took Maine Sails advice and got the Genasun gv-10 controller. The cabling in question is mostly the Seatalk-ng for one gps antenna, and I believe a smaller diameter (maybe rg-8?) for the passive gps antenna going to the ais unit. I can separate them if it's at all an issue..
You should not have issues with either of those wire.....

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
Ray-
Not all coax is created equally. So in theory, you could put noise into the DC cables when you transmit on the radio, etc. In practice, no one can tell you for sure until you try it. And given the low power levels and simple systems...I'd try it. If there's a noise problem, separate them. Don't go hog wild on the cable ties until after you've tried it out.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's actually not radio antenna cable- GPS lines (one is seatalk ng, the other is some smaller diameter coax cable, which I think is rg-8). The juice going through the solar cables is small enough (per the panel ratings, I've not tested them yet) that I think would be ok as MS says..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts