SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've installed my new Signet Marine classic sailing instruments. All I have left to do is wire 12V for the red lights. I was just going to wire them to the switch breaker for running lights (as is the compass light). Should I wire them in series or parallel? Does it matter?

Dave

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Parallel. In series if one burns out or has a bad connection you will lose them all.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Parallel. In series if one burns out or has a bad connection you will lose them all.
I knew that. I just needed reminding of my basic electricity. Now I feel stupid. :eek:
Thanks!

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
I've installed my new Signet Marine classic sailing instruments. All I have left to do is wire 12V for the red lights. I was just going to wire them to the switch breaker for running lights (as is the compass light).
If you can find space I'd wire instrument lights and compass light on their own individual breakers. If you are using electronic navigation the data will be available on your chartplotter and the instruments and compass light are just more light in the cockpit. You may well find the chartplotter backlight, even turned way down, is adequate for reading the instruments.

Keeping night vision attuned should be a priority. That means minimum light sources in the cockpit.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
I would consider adding a "dimmer" too Some nights can be darker than others due to position of the moon or ambient light pollution, so having some method to changing the amount of illumination could be good

1 - 5 of 5 Posts