SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Me too, also getting a security error stating that the security certificate is not app.serviceengine but from opendns.com

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
You could always add youchoose.net to your hosts file and point it to 127.0.0.1

·
Sailor
845 Posts
I am also experiencing very slow loads due to youchoose. How do I stop it?

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
On most modern operating systems, there is a file called hosts, and it allows you to statically define certain DNS entries...by pointing youchoose.net to 127.0.0.1, which is the local loopback address of your computer, you'll remove the delay and won't see the survey, speeding up your computer's loading of the sailnet webpages, since it won't have to wait for the youchoose.net servers to respond. :)

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I null-routed youchoose.net as soon as it appeared. That thing made this site annoyingly slow.

As far as the server issues: It's happened a couple times the last couple days. Acts like backend database problems.

Jim

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Idiens-

Go to the start menu and click on "RUN"

Type "CMD" in the dialog box and hit "RETURN"

TYPE "cd C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\" and hit "RETURN"

Type "attrib -r -s hosts" and hit "RETURN" — This is to remove the read-only and system attribute properties from the file, since you need to edit it.

Type "notepad hosts" and hit "RETURN"

In the Notepad window that then opens, go to the bottom of the file and type "127.0.0.1 youchoose.net"

Save the file and quit Notepad. In the CMD window, type "EXIT" and hit "RETURN"

You will probably have to reboot for the modified hosts file to take effect. :)

If you type the quotation marks and run into a problem because of it, I will fly out and beat you about the head and shoulders... TYPE ONLY WHAT IS IN THE QUOTES. :) BTW, you did say dummie's guide to doing this. :)

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Idiens-

Go to the start menu and click on "RUN"

Type "CMD" in the dialog box and hit "RETURN"

TYPE "cd C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\" and hit "RETURN"

Type "attrib -r -s hosts" and hit "RETURN" — This is to remove the read-only and system attribute properties from the file, since you need to edit it.

Type "notepad hosts" and hit "RETURN"

In the Notepad window that then opens, go to the bottom of the file and type "127.0.0.1 youchoose.net"

Save the file and quit Notepad. In the CMD window, type "EXIT" and hit "RETURN"

You will probably have to reboot for the modified hosts file to take effect. :)

If you type the quotation marks and run into a problem because of it, I will fly out and beat you about the head and shoulders... TYPE ONLY WHAT IS IN THE QUOTES. :) BTW, you did say dummie's guide to doing this. :)

I prefer to say " A Knotheads Guide" Thanks SD

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
PO-TAY-TO, PO-TAH-TOH... :) Same thing....just different pronounciation... :) dummy, knothead... :) whatever. :)

You've got to remember that the guide was written by a dog for a seagull... so how high-level can it be. :)

·
Larus Marinus
1,756 Posts
Excellent SD. That was just about my level.

So having followed the instructions faithfully, should I notice a difference and is there a down side?

Thank you

P.S. I tried to give you another rep+ point but I am not allowed.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Idiens-

If you try going to Youchoose.net or seeing content from there it will fail. :) That's the only downside...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts