SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 day visit to the boat starting this Tuesday, and among my list of repairs needing to do is get my Lewmar 16 2-speed winch to go into first gear. The direct drive works but it does not move the drum when going counterclockwise with the handle.

I have never serviced a winch before, but having seen it once or twice, i am at a loss for what I should do. I am limited to parts on hand or whatever i can get at a small town Ace Hardware. Should I wait till I can order and arrive with specialty lubes and cleaners or is there a potential for me to repair this by opening, inspecting and lubing with hardware store lubes?

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Don't need specialty lubes. I use SuperLube from a hardware store and it works better than the specific Barient and other lubes I've used in the past. Likely your problem is a stuck pawl or broken pawl or pawl spring. These will be specific parts needed from the manufacturer. You can't hurt anything by opening it up, cleaning, and reassembling. You might find a specific problem, or it might just be gummed up works that get solved by cleaning. Gasoline or diesel makes a good cleaning solvent - you don't need a special "winch" solvent. I use a toothbrush to clean parts.

Go light on the grease for the bearings and gears, and don't put grease on the pawls. Use a light oil on the pawls, like fishing reel oil or sewing machine oil.

Mark

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. It looks like the resin I had ordered won't make it here on time so I will have a lot of time to fix the other things needing to be done, and maybe even go sailing.

I believe I might even have a set of paws and or a repair kit on board, at least I have seen a small Lewmar kit with small metal parts I had wondered what it was for, looking at repair kits it looked like winch parts.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Thanks guys. It looks like the resin I had ordered won't make it here on time so I will have a lot of time to fix the other things needing to be done, and maybe even go sailing.

I believe I might even have a set of paws and or a repair kit on board, at least I have seen a small Lewmar kit with small metal parts I had wondered what it was for, looking at repair kits it looked like winch parts.
Sounds like you do have spare pawls and springs as that is what is contained in a Lewmar servicing kit.

On older Lewmar winches you cannot fully disassemble the winch without removing it from the deck, but you can inspect, replace pawls etc.

Make sure you do NOT grease the pawls, because that will cause them to stick. Grease is for bearings only. Light machine oil is for pawls.

If your winch is not working properly you really should not go sailing until you have fixed it. If the winch is under load and a pawl lets go the handle can backspin. That has been known to break arms!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your winch is not working properly you really should not go sailing until you have fixed it. If the winch is under load and a pawl lets go the handle can backspin. That has been known to break arms!

The non working winch is the port cabintop winch and it works in one direction just not the other. The only time it would be used would be behind a clutch. The only reason I know it does not work in both directions is I had to haul my wife up the mast with only one gear. Not sure I will be sailing anyways as I will be by myself and so very rusty, not sure it is the time to be soloing, but man i want to.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
The non working winch is the port cabintop winch and it works in one direction just not the other. The only time it would be used would be behind a clutch. The only reason I know it does not work in both directions is I had to haul my wife up the mast with only one gear. Not sure I will be sailing anyways as I will be by myself and so very rusty, not sure it is the time to be soloing, but man i want to.
Oh I see. I was thinking it was a primary winch. You should be fine to go sailing! Get out there, and worry about the winch later!

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the one. Don't worry honey the winch is not working correctly but you will be fine 40 feet off the deck, trust me you'll be fine.
I too would be concerned if that was the scenario. I was grinding my wife up on the main halyard using the starboard self-tailing winch backed up with a rope clutch and the jib halyard on the port side with clutch. As I got tired I tried cross sheeting to the port cabin top winch to take advantage of the 2-speed winch.

If you see a safety issue let me know as she has another trip up the mast to screw on the antenna. I take my wife's safety seriously and I can't get up the mast myself.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Go light on the grease for the bearings and gears, and don't put grease on the pawls. Use a light oil on the pawls, like fishing reel oil or sewing machine oil.
So the boat is 3 hours south and the town there is even smaller so I decided to visit my Ace Hardware to have the lubricants on hand. I asked for suggestions on light oil. The woman helping me kept pointing me towards WD-40. When told her it was for a Winch on a sailboat she said let me get Danny he is a diver he would know about winches.

I ended up with some spray cans of Superlube and now home researching oil and lube categories. Would mineral oil work as light machine oil? It sounds like any single weight vehicle oil would work.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Simply place the livers of 4 or 5 ratfish in a pail in the sun.. Tomorrow decant off the light Machine oil and apply to the pawls .Good as a gun oil too. (One of the little known advantages of living on the coast)

·
12,139 Posts
Fashion yourself a little cardboard box around the winch to catch any errant springs / pawls. The know exactly where they have to go to get a 10 from the Russian judge as they find the water.

im sure you have the exploded diagram of your winch and take pictures as you progress through it.

heed the above suggestions about oil and grease

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,238 Posts
I have a 3 day visit to the boat starting this Tuesday, and among my list of repairs needing to do is get my Lewmar 16 2-speed winch to go into first gear. The direct drive works but it does not move the drum when going counterclockwise with the handle.

I have never serviced a winch before, but having seen it once or twice, i am at a loss for what I should do. I am limited to parts on hand or whatever i can get at a small town Ace Hardware. Should I wait till I can order and arrive with specialty lubes and cleaners or is there a potential for me to repair this by opening, inspecting and lubing with hardware store lubes?
Cut a box to fit around the winch so if parts accidentally go flying they will not go over :) Works great! There are usually exploded diagrams accessible online. Brake cleaner then proper spec grease... Take pics as you disassemble :) Good luck!

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
So the boat is 3 hours south and the town there is even smaller so I decided to visit my Ace Hardware to have the lubricants on hand. I asked for suggestions on light oil. The woman helping me kept pointing me towards WD-40. When told her it was for a Winch on a sailboat she said let me get Danny he is a diver he would know about winches.

I ended up with some spray cans of Superlube and now home researching oil and lube categories. Would mineral oil work as light machine oil? It sounds like any single weight vehicle oil would work.
Huh, didn't even know SuperLube came in spray cans. I've always used the tubs or tubes of solid grease.

Don't use that on the pawls. Also don't use WD-40 because it will wash right out. 3-in-1 oil would be OK, as would any other similar thin oil. Mineral oil might work. The goal is to not put anything on the pawls that can collect and hold dirt or cause sticking. Otherwise, there isn't anything real special about it.

Mark

·
Master Mariner
8,369 Posts
We clean our winches with diesel, it's cheap and does a great job. We have two of the two speed 16s and they are easy to open, clean, lube and put back together. There are quite a few videos on youtube.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Huh, didn't even know SuperLube came in spray cans. I've always used the tubs or tubes of solid grease.
Mark
I don't think it is the same thing in a can. They have a variety of products, spray can/tube etc.

I will take some mineral oil with me and hope to find the superlube lube somewhere along the way.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Actually, I think it is the same stuff. The description says it is the same lube dissolved in an evaporating solvent that leaves the lube behind. It was just new to me.

Mark

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
If you get the drum off the top, you might see what is broken. I’m trying to imagine how it could be a broken pawl. As I understand the issue, the handle will turn CC but does not move the drum. Almost wonder if any gears are spinning on their shaft.

I clean winch gears with mineral spirits.

·
Administrator
9,049 Posts
For what it's worth, I cut the hole in the bottom of the box a little larger than the bottom of the winch and tape the box to the deck so that splatter and grease does not get on the deck. I agree with using diesel fuel as solvent along with a tooth brush. Works like a charm, cheap and does not explode. I use a coffee container to soak the really crusty parts in and alcohol to wash the diesel off

Other tips, there is a little plastic clip that is flush with the side of the stem of the winch that holds the center shaft in the winch. That part is often concealed and a PIA to get out. An Xacto will pop it out. Getting that part back in can be tricky. You need to slide the center shaft up and down until it aligns with the plastic clip.

The pawl(s) you are looking for are in the bottom of the cluster gears at the bottom of the winch. They have a vertical shaft that slides out vertically. make sure you mark them with a sharpie so you know which is which and what is the top from bottom.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 59 Posts