SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Master Mariner
8,369 Posts
Pictures, pictures, pictures. Take pictures of every step of dismantling the winch. I can't tell you how important this is for reassembly! We have a file of pictures of every winch on the boat and refer to it when servicing each one. Its not like we rebuild winches every day.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Pictures, pictures, pictures. Take pictures of every step of dismantling the winch. I can't tell you how important this is for reassembly! We have a file of pictures of every winch on the boat and refer to it when servicing each one. Its not like we rebuild winches every day.
Sound advice for ANYTHING you dismantle on the boat.

·
Master Mariner
8,369 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
++2 on the cardboard box trick to catch the stuff you will be dropping overboard. Especially if you're clumsy like me.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well that was easy.

Pulled off the retaining clip pulled off the top plate and spun the Winch by hand and could see two paws right at the top not engaging.

I did have a full rebuild kit on hand so thought of replacing a pawl. I made a half hearted attemt to do so wiggled it with a pawl with my finger to see how it pops out.

It didnt so added some turbine oil I had brought and the paws snapped into place. It was late so I just reassembled and called it a day. If I can find an appropriate grease today I will give the whole thing an appropriate cleaning and oil and greasing.

It looks as though only a very basic disassembly is possible I will need to clean and lube in place.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Those just need to be cleaned and oiled. They should pull straight up - needle nose or hemostat will help. The spring is contained in them by fitting into a slot, but it falls out very easily so be ready to catch it.

Mark

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Hey,

You really should do a proper service job. This requires you to remove the drum. Only then can you clean and lubricate the bearings, gears, spindles, etc. I believe the drum should just lift off of the spindle. There are so many parts diagrams and user manuals on the web that you should quickly be able to find the correct one for your winch.

That reminds me that I need to service my winches. Maybe this weekend, maybe next week. Personally I use spray brake clean (available at any automotive parts store) to clean and degrees the parts. I use regular marine grease on the bearings and other spinning parts and 3 in 1 oil (just a small drop) on the pawls.

To each his own.

Barry

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hey,

You really should do a proper service job. This requires you to remove the drum.
I did remove the drum and yes it could do with a proper servicing but I will wait till I a am better equipped. There are also other pressing issues on the boat taking
precedence.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Is a Lewmar 16 a two speed winch. Will check mine later today but think the 16's are single speed winches and are working fine from the OP's description. Will check mine later today to be sure. Need to sail more as I shouldn't have a question as to winches function.

·
12,139 Posts
Sound advice for ANYTHING you dismantle on the boat.
I use kerosene (my stove fuel). I guess anything from this class of mineral-oil based solvent works.
D
Hey,

You really should do a proper service job. This requires you to remove the drum. Only then can you clean and lubricate the bearings, gears, spindles, etc. I believe the drum should just lift off of the spindle. There are so many parts diagrams and user manuals on the web that you should quickly be able to find the correct one for your winch.

That reminds me that I need to service my winches. Maybe this weekend, maybe next week. Personally I use spray brake clean (available at any automotive parts store) to clean and degrees the parts. I use regular marine grease on the bearings and other spinning parts and 3 in 1 oil (just a small drop) on the pawls.

To each his own.

Barry
i totally agree , once you have it apart it’s a half hour to do a winch totally. Oiling greasing something which isn’t completely reconditioned And cleaned is not a good way to start fixing things. You wind up with lots of 1/2,completed projects and nothing behind you.

Reactions: MastUndSchotbruch

·
Emmalina
31 Posts
Cleaned a lot of winches in my time and the biggest problem is with pawls sticking because of over greasing and old grease. Rarely fins a broken spring but everyone should know how to strip clean and re-grease their winches IMHO. Bucket of diesel and some lithium grease !

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
My
D

i totally agree , once you have it apart it’s a half hour to do a winch totally. Oiling greasing something which isn’t completely reconditioned And cleaned is not a good way to start fixing things. You wind up with lots of 1/2,completed projects and nothing behind you.
My photo was taken at 807 pm. My choices were to siphon diesel from my truck and clean the Winch and hope in the morning the podunk hardware store had an appropriate grease..... Or hussle out of there in the off chance I could still get a hot dinner and find and setup my campsite while there was still daylight.

My boat is near getting splashed and sailed the cleanliness of that Winch is so far down the list. This Winch is so far down my punch list I spent part of the next day fixing the stereo instead.
I consider this a success the Winch currently works, I know how to clean it when supplies and time allows and my boat has tunes when I get to Winch maintenance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 3 day visit to the boat starting this Tuesday, and among my list of repairs needing to do is get my Lewmar 16 2-speed winch to go into first gear. The direct drive works but it does not move the drum when going counterclockwise with the handle.

I have never serviced a winch before, but having seen it once or twice, i am at a loss for what I should do. I am limited to parts on hand or whatever i can get at a small town Ace Hardware. Should I wait till I can order and arrive with specialty lubes and cleaners or is there a potential for me to repair this by opening, inspecting and lubing with hardware store lubes?
You own a Sailboat and you are asking for advise on how to service a small two speed Winch??
I just can't understand these types of posts....pick another hobby like knitting.

·
Administrator
9,049 Posts
You own a Sailboat and you are asking for advise on how to service a small two speed Winch??
I just can't understand these types of posts....pick another hobby like knitting.
You may not remember when this was true for you, but not everybody has been sailing forever or started sailing thinking that they knew everything that there is to know about boats. We all had to learn sometime and somewhere. The fact that the original poster wants to learn to maintain his own boat, and looking for advice from more experienced sailors before dismantling a winch and potentially not getting it back together again properly, shows that the original poster actually does belong in the community of sailors. He was willing to learn and to try something new, showed reasonable prudence, and wasn't afraid to expend a mix of a little humility, lithium and elbow grease to improve his boat. That all seems pretty admirable to me.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
There are some many neat tricks to learn from people who have been there done that. Why re invent the wheel? Best NEW tip is take tons of cell phone pics when you dis assemble something..

·
12,139 Posts
that was incredibly helpful.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts