SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
SailGunner
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a contract on our retirement house in Punta Gorda, FL. We will be able to have our sailboat in the back yard with access to the world! Home prices have fallen so drastically that we can now afford our dream whereas two years ago it was unattainable. When we move there within three years I will need to sell my 30 footer and buy a 40 footer. I can't wait to retire but the only down side is I will have to be older.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I've got 18 years with my nose to the grindstone. After that, I'm saying goodbye to the televangelism industry once and for all. Man, I can't wait to get out! Unfortunately, I'll be saying goodbye to my eight-figure annual salary as well. A couple of the people on my staff are real pricks. My wife's a pain in the rear too. First thing I'm going to do after I retire is dump her fat ---.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Sailhog—

18 years with your nose to the grindstone explains the flat face... :)

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
We retired in 2002 and have continued cruising fulltime. Living aboard allows us to live far beneath our means. Not having the condo, cars or anything ashore has been a great freedom. Maybe in ten or fifteen years we'll be looking for the assisted living marina. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

·
Registered
26 Posts
18 years with the nose to the grindstone allows sailhog to keep a sharp lookout....:D

·
O'day 26
206 Posts
"Maybe in ten or fifteen years we'll be looking for the assisted living marina. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew" - Now that sounds like the wave of the future, nice young people to take you out sailing and wipe your chin. Bring you back in, give you the daily meds, and tuck you into bed.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Keep your nose to the grindstone, keep your shoulder to the wheel, and keep your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
"Maybe in ten or fifteen years we'll be looking for the assisted living marina. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew" - Now that sounds like the wave of the future, nice young people to take you out sailing and wipe your chin. Bring you back in, give you the daily meds, and tuck you into bed.
An assisted-living marina! That sounds like a real growth industry... at least it's one with services I'll eventually be interested in. And it's a winner for everyone involved! What nursing home employee wouldn't rather care for a patient on his/her sailboat? The scent of bedpans is replaced by salt air...

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Hey cesarid - welcome! Man that sounds nice. Congratulations.

I may not be set - but I'm sure ready!

·
Registered
198 Posts
The rats are winning, I'm getting out of the race early. No money to speak of, but I'm willing to live on the cheap. Maybe it can't be done. I'll let you know in a few years.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
The rats are winning, I'm getting out of the race early. No money to speak of, but I'm willing to live on the cheap. Maybe it can't be done. I'll let you know in a few years.
I think this guy has the right idea: Atom Voyages | About James & Mei

He sailed his 28-foot Pearson Triton around the globe twice. Can't do that when your knees no longer work, but he knows how to get out there safely and inexpensively. You've got to be willing to give up some comforts, and you have to be a bit smarter than the average bear -- but it can be done.

·
SailGunner
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When is always a question

I could move now but would sure hate to be without funds after a few years of inflation. It is tough to estimate what you'll need 10-30 years from now. My doctor said I would live to be 104 so I am planning on it and if I don't make it I won't know the difference.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I've got 18 years with my nose to the grindstone. After that, I'm saying goodbye to the televangelism industry once and for all. Man, I can't wait to get out! Unfortunately, I'll be saying goodbye to my eight-figure annual salary as well. A couple of the people on my staff are real pricks. My wife's a pain in the rear too. First thing I'm going to do after I retire is dump her fat ---.
I can't decide (given some of the responses from other posts) whether you're saying a) you have HAD 18 years at the grindstone or b) you HAVE LEFT another 18 years at the grindstone.

If it's a) and you have had an 8 figure salary for even a part of that time and you still can't afford to go cruising, you have done something wrong.

If it's b) and you are going to earn an 8 figure salary for the foreseeable future and you have to wait 18 years to go cruising you're doing something wrong.

Or both of the above are wrong and you simply have a limited understanding of the decimal system :D.

Or perhaps your version of an 8-figure salary is that you get paid 8 months out of every 12???:laugher

Whatever the case, something is wrong.

Or finally, maybe your'e just jerking our chains

And BTW, one hopes that niether your F/A wife or the pricks on your staff are amongst the many 000's of members to this forum :p .

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Omatako,
I'm a professional televangelist, and I"ve got 18 years to go before I can hang it up. I make eight-figures doing my gig every Sunday, but I am so ------- sick of all the bull---- that comes with it. Things are looking up, though. Yesterday I kicked a 15-year $1000/day coke habit, and this hot little number I've been nailing on the side finally realized that maybe it wouldn't be good for her health if she went public with our little arrangement. So... it ain't all bad.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Omatako,
I'm a professional televangelist, and I"ve got 18 years to go before I can hang it up. I make eight-figures doing my gig every Sunday, but I am so ------- sick of all the bull---- that comes with it. Things are looking up, though. Yesterday I kicked a 15-year $1000/day coke habit, and this hot little number I've been nailing on the side finally realized that maybe it wouldn't be good for her health if she went public with our little arrangement. So... it ain't all bad.
Sounds to me like a life that looked to be a lot of fun has turned around and bit you in the a$$.

Still, I'm confused. Most people, in fact all those are are not sold into slavery, get to choose when they stop working, especially when they have adequate money. Why can't you? 8 figures suggests $10m or more per annum. If I earned that for just one year you wouldn't see my a$$ for dust. What's your problem? Is it simply a pair of golden handcuffs (read greed) or is it that cruising is really a romantic thought that hasn't truly captured your imagination. Sorry, that sounds a bit brutal but I mean, really???

Oh and serious congrats on kicking the habit - that's really good news. Try to ignore the last line of Hotel California (You can check out any time you like but you can never leave)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Cesarid,

Punta Gorda, FL? I remember Hurricane Charlie laying a direct hit on that locale in 2005 or was it 2006?

Now the dip in the market is good for you but don’t repeat the mistakes of the past, cuz you failed to remember them. Buy the house but, but keep the dinghy at your dock and your 40 footer somewheres safe.

Good to hear a retirement is attainable.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Sounds to me like a life that looked to be a lot of fun has turned around and bit you in the a$$.

Still, I'm confused. Most people, in fact all those are are not sold into slavery, get to choose when they stop working, especially when they have adequate money. Why can't you? 8 figures suggests $10m or more per annum. If I earned that for just one year you wouldn't see my a$$ for dust. What's your problem? Is it simply a pair of golden handcuffs (read greed) or is it that cruising is really a romantic thought that hasn't truly captured your imagination. Sorry, that sounds a bit brutal but I mean, really???

Oh and serious congrats on kicking the habit - that's really good news. Try to ignore the last line of Hotel California (You can check out any time you like but you can never leave)
Omatako,

Not sure if you're just playing along, but in case you're not: Sailhog is one of Sailnet's resident comedians. He has a pretty whacky imagination which he generously shares with the rest of us as a sort of comic relief. Fiction is his forte. :D

When he's not impersonating a televangelist, the real Sailhog is a regular guy like you and me, sailing a Catalina 30 in coastal Carolina.;)

·
SailGunner
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes - Oh Charlie

Cesarid,

Punta Gorda, FL? I remember Hurricane Charlie laying a direct hit on that locale in 2005 or was it 2006?

Now the dip in the market is good for you but don’t repeat the mistakes of the past, cuz you failed to remember them. Buy the house but, but keep the dinghy at your dock and your 40 footer somewheres safe.

Good to hear a retirement is attainable.
Yes, Charlie hit Punta Gorda head on. The house I am buying sustained little damage, without hurrican shutters. What are the odds - two Hurricanes in the same place? Is that like lightening? I figure that is what insurance is for so long as I have notice to get out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts