SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I've got 18 years with my nose to the grindstone. After that, I'm saying goodbye to the televangelism industry once and for all. Man, I can't wait to get out! Unfortunately, I'll be saying goodbye to my eight-figure annual salary as well. A couple of the people on my staff are real pricks. My wife's a pain in the rear too. First thing I'm going to do after I retire is dump her fat ---.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
"Maybe in ten or fifteen years we'll be looking for the assisted living marina. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew" - Now that sounds like the wave of the future, nice young people to take you out sailing and wipe your chin. Bring you back in, give you the daily meds, and tuck you into bed.
An assisted-living marina! That sounds like a real growth industry... at least it's one with services I'll eventually be interested in. And it's a winner for everyone involved! What nursing home employee wouldn't rather care for a patient on his/her sailboat? The scent of bedpans is replaced by salt air...

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
The rats are winning, I'm getting out of the race early. No money to speak of, but I'm willing to live on the cheap. Maybe it can't be done. I'll let you know in a few years.
I think this guy has the right idea: Atom Voyages | About James & Mei

He sailed his 28-foot Pearson Triton around the globe twice. Can't do that when your knees no longer work, but he knows how to get out there safely and inexpensively. You've got to be willing to give up some comforts, and you have to be a bit smarter than the average bear -- but it can be done.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Omatako,
I'm a professional televangelist, and I"ve got 18 years to go before I can hang it up. I make eight-figures doing my gig every Sunday, but I am so ------- sick of all the bull---- that comes with it. Things are looking up, though. Yesterday I kicked a 15-year $1000/day coke habit, and this hot little number I've been nailing on the side finally realized that maybe it wouldn't be good for her health if she went public with our little arrangement. So... it ain't all bad.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I hope so. I think it is a shame to think that the only ones out their cruising seriously are the well funded retirees.

Im 29, and im basically ready to retire now!!! In all seriousness Im building a kitty, and experience, i'm getting the boat sorted and then looking at taking a 5 year sabbatical to start with....

Put simply I can't wait 30 years to do this. By then it might for one reason or another be too late. Your right though the temptation I have to beat is thinking I need all the gear, the large boat, the modern cruising luxuries....

To those doing it in retirement though I say good on you. You definitely dodeserve every sundowner, hope you are having the trip of a lifetime.
Chall03,
Read that fellow's articles. If you study his approach, you can really see how the cost of cruising changes dramatically when you decide that you need something like a refrigerator aboard. Simple equals inexpensive; there's no two ways about it. Simple also equals safety in a lot of cases. It's pretty impressive what he's done with a sturdy 40-year-old-production boat.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Yeah very Pardey,
I do like his philosophy as I do the Pardey's, however I think I differ in that I am a fan of both inboard diesels and refrigeration....rowing through the doldrums while drinking warm prune juice is not part of my concept of a dream world cruise.
Ain't nothing wrong with an inboard engine in my eyes either. I can do without refrigeration, but the wife and kids aren't so keen on the idea. So what's a fellow to do? Refrigeration it is...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.