SailNet Community banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Omatako,
Obviously JRP is jealous of my success as a televangelist. He's jealous of my eight-figure salary, of my women, and of my Catalina 3000.
Aw jeez, now you've gone and screwed the illusion.

NOBODY gets jealous of a Catalina

·
Picnic Sailor
Moody 425
2,187 Posts
I think this guy has the right idea: Atom Voyages | About James & Mei

He sailed his 28-foot Pearson Triton around the globe twice. Can't do that when your knees no longer work, but he knows how to get out there safely and inexpensively. You've got to be willing to give up some comforts, and you have to be a bit smarter than the average bear -- but it can be done.
I hope so. I think it is a shame to think that the only ones out their cruising seriously are the well funded retirees.

Im 29, and im basically ready to retire now!!! In all seriousness Im building a kitty, and experience, i'm getting the boat sorted and then looking at taking a 5 year sabbatical to start with....

Put simply I can't wait 30 years to do this. By then it might for one reason or another be too late. Your right though the temptation I have to beat is thinking I need all the gear, the large boat, the modern cruising luxuries....

To those doing it in retirement though I say good on you. You definitely dodeserve every sundowner, hope you are having the trip of a lifetime.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I hope so. I think it is a shame to think that the only ones out their cruising seriously are the well funded retirees.

Im 29, and im basically ready to retire now!!! In all seriousness Im building a kitty, and experience, i'm getting the boat sorted and then looking at taking a 5 year sabbatical to start with....

Put simply I can't wait 30 years to do this. By then it might for one reason or another be too late. Your right though the temptation I have to beat is thinking I need all the gear, the large boat, the modern cruising luxuries....

To those doing it in retirement though I say good on you. You definitely dodeserve every sundowner, hope you are having the trip of a lifetime.
Chall03,
Read that fellow's articles. If you study his approach, you can really see how the cost of cruising changes dramatically when you decide that you need something like a refrigerator aboard. Simple equals inexpensive; there's no two ways about it. Simple also equals safety in a lot of cases. It's pretty impressive what he's done with a sturdy 40-year-old-production boat.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Yes, James Baldwin is definitely of the Pardey school of thought....small is beautiful, go small, go now...

·
Picnic Sailor
Moody 425
2,187 Posts
Yeah very Pardey,
I do like his philosophy as I do the Pardey's, however I think I differ in that I am a fan of both inboard diesels and refrigeration....rowing through the doldrums while drinking warm prune juice is not part of my concept of a dream world cruise.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Yeah very Pardey,
I do like his philosophy as I do the Pardey's, however I think I differ in that I am a fan of both inboard diesels and refrigeration....rowing through the doldrums while drinking warm prune juice is not part of my concept of a dream world cruise.
Ain't nothing wrong with an inboard engine in my eyes either. I can do without refrigeration, but the wife and kids aren't so keen on the idea. So what's a fellow to do? Refrigeration it is...

·
Picnic Sailor
Moody 425
2,187 Posts
A wise cruiser once said to me when I was lamenting about my poor little icebox
'.....son, just imagine you have one of the biggest newest refrigeration systems around, then just imagine it has shat itself and you've had to throw all your meat overboard, your now exactly where everyone else is but you've saved 5 grand'

It does seem to me refrigeration is one of those areas where attitudes have changed over the past 15-20 years as the reliability of technology has improved. Once upon a time refrigeration seemed notoriously unreliable, and was looked at by middle of the road cruisers with a generous dose of cynicism, it seems now however that it is very much the norm rather than the exception and most seem to have fairly easy to maintain reliable systems.....

If however I had the choice of going without refrigeration or not going at all, then I would say fine go ahead and fill my icebox with prune juice.

·
leave blank
128 Posts
Charlie was a 2004 storm

I recall prepping the boat for Charley in Coconut Grove. It was my first hurricane experience. Fortunately for us, Charley went to your side of Florida, unfortunately Charley slipped a feeder band into Biscayne Bay that sorta slapped the dock around where our boat was tied.

Later that same year Frances and Jeanne made landfall at exactly the same spot up North in Vero beach. So don't think Punta Gorda has immunity because of an earlier hit. Rather bet on the odds having increased for the redux and plan/prep accordingly.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.