SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
The headline shamelessly sensationalizes the rum angle but then goes on to state that pigs were given the "wrong food" and that the cause of death is unclear. The Nassau Guardian article mentions that tourists have given the pigs rum in the past but doesn't jump to the (unsubstantiated) conclusion that rum was what killed these pigs.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
This is a sad state of affairs.
Pigs are highly intelligent creatures but apparently not intelligent enough to know when some human feeds them dubious food, whatever it was.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
This is a sad state of affairs.
Pigs are highly intelligent creatures but apparently not intelligent enough to know when some human feeds them dubious food, whatever it was.
They eat like pigs. :nerd

I gotta say, I don't like them. Very aggressive in the attack to get food. Maybe they're not intentionally aggessive but the are huge, have huge teeth, sharp feet agains soft skinned humans and dinghys.

Some time a child will be killed.

My interactions with them have not been pleasant.

Mark

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
They eat like pigs. :nerd I gotta say, I don't like them. Very aggressive in the attack to get food. Maybe they're not intentionally aggessive but the are huge, have huge teeth, sharp feet agains soft skinned humans and dinghys.
Mark
I got to agree with Mark. Went to see the Pigs on a 2012 Exuma's charter;
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: CAPT. MIKE IN THE EXUMAS DAY 4: SWIMMING PIGS AND WIND TURBINES

Though we anchored far out off the beach but, still a few swam out to the boat. Captain had to fend them off to try and keep them from climbing into the inflatable. I thought one might try and climb up the scoop. I think a little girl lost all or part of her finger trying to feed them. We charter almost every spring in the Exumas. Going to see the Pigs is never one of our stops after that first experience.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to say after seeing @mbianka 's video, that feeding the pigs is akin to feeding seagulls at the beach, or anywhere else for that matter. I also agree that the pigs are a non-native species on this island. However, the fact that several of them were poisoned because someone fed them rum or beer (the "wrong food") is a sad display of people being inconsiderate boobs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's awful.... the thing is they are an anamal that is left to fend for themselves on some deserted island. If you only got to eat when someone is bringing food to your island you might be a little ravenous too. I am surprised that they aren't more wild and mean.

Reactions: CalebD

·
Registered
35 Posts
Reactions: Jeff_H

·
Registered
282 Posts
I raised pigs on our farm for many years,60 sow farrow to finish..pork,ham and bacon is delisiious,yum.......that said any pig over 100 lbs is dangerous and older ones boars and sows with baby's more so if there is no one detusking the boars ..well the tusks never stop growing and are razor sharp,can be 6" long,we had an older boar that ,weighed in at 900 lbs..after it snapped and caused the need for 90 stitchs up the side of my father in law,took a 30-06 to stop it,..on the other hand pigs are probAly more intelligent than almost any other farm animal and make great pets but then they are trained and in control not running wild,the pigs in the pics look like domestic type and could probaly get pretty big if they get enough food. FWIW.....Ralph

·
2,441 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
LOL Anybody seen the movie Snatch? If so you'll remember the scene I'm thinking about!

·
Liveaboard
12 Posts
They eat like pigs. :nerd

I gotta say, I don't like them. Very aggressive in the attack to get food. Maybe they're not intentionally aggessive but the are huge, have huge teeth, sharp feet agains soft skinned humans and dinghys.

Mark
It's a shame that the pigs were poisoned -- I've been looking forward to seeing the famous swimming pigs! Pigs are intelligent creatures, and piglets are awfully cute. But I agree with you that interactions with pigs in general can be dangerous and/or unpleasant. My great-uncle lost consciousness while working on something in my grandfather's pig pen and the pigs ate him. A child could easily be killed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts