SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
YouTube videos don't compare to some of the seas I have worked in.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
Snowboard dude,
I am not sure where you are on the East Coast or of what continent but most of the time that the $hit is hitting the fan most people are not concerned about video footage except perhaps a professional camera person.
This is not as good as video footage but if you look at the current chart for waves and wind on the North Atlantic you will notice a section over by Ireland that shows a wave height of '11' - which is in meters and is well over 33 feet in height. http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/fax/PJAA99.TIF
Use your imagination.

·
S/V Sabbatical
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know video footage of survival conditions is not common, that is why I asked if any one has it.

Here is footage from the North Sea in the Winter, perhaps closer to what you are talking about.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Do you have any footage you can post?
Wish I did, but most of my time was before the digital cameras and computers were very bulky.
What you did was slow down and work your vessel in a professional manner.:cool:
And found that good cameras and the sea do not mix well. Much to the camera's demise.:(

·
Registered
652 Posts
That's not bad weather in the video, that boat looks like she's just wallowing in confused seas. Paloma and I have been through far more severe winds and seas than the vessel in the video. For one account of our travails at sea, go the BFS thread and go to the last page for a post of our adventures in a Force 10 storm in the Gulf back in March of this year. For pictures of what she looked like when we got back into port, go to the gallery and search Paloma.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts