SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I recently bought a Tamaya MS-833 1981 sextant. I'm trying to replace the whole horizon mirror with a traditional one. I first tried to unscrew the 3 metal springs that hold and adjust the glass piece. Issues is while trying to remove the first tiny screw, its head broke off. So now i need to remove and replace the whole frame with a new one.

Can't find a spare horizon mirror frame (for Tamaya MS-833) anywhere online - ebay, google search, Tamaya website. I did email them (Tamaya) though today. Wonder if they'll respond?...

Any suggestions on finding the horizon frame? Anyone has one and is willing to sell it to me?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
about us

They're still in business. I'd suggest contacting them. When I emailed Cassens & Plath about some obscure things including a "trigger", they were incredibly gracious, sending me the part I needed, and spare bulbs, and a new owner's plaque engraved for me, all by airmail without any prompting.

In the meantime, are there any watch repair shops near you? They should have the equipment and practice required to remove small broken screws. Watchmaking is not just confined to battery changes, even these days.(G) Odds are there's someone you can reach, who knows how to do this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, i did email them, hopefully they'll respond soon.

Currently, i'm in a merchant mariner school and we're not allowed to leave campus (don't ask why...) so i won't be able to visit a repair shop any time soon (1-2 months).

Thanks for the quick reply

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Call an Uber to the main gate, have them drive it to the watchmaker. Give 'em an extra $10 to bring it inside.

Or, you got a quartermaster or supply office? If not, just ask your CO who is the chief sextant repair officer. If it can't be repaired--it doesn't belong on a boat.

SOMEONE there is going to know how broken things can be fixed. That's part of being a sailor, or an officer.

But sooner or later the sun, like all stars, will go supernova. When that happens, sextants will be useless. So, you know, if they want to just get rid of them ahead of time...(G)

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
You might contact Celestaire. Their business is sextants and the staff have been very helpful in past.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
For that matter, there is also Robt. White & Co out of Boston. I'm assuming they are still in business, they also sell and repair sextants. They might also have a referral for it--they're true professionals.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yaaa,

I got lucky - called Weems & Plath Navigation - listed under Tamay's distributor's list - (contact info below) and they referred me to a sextant repair shop based in MA - Robert E White Instrument Services (contact info below). Called them and they actually have spare frames for the sextant - $40+$5-10 shipping. I ordered one piece and should receive it some time next week.

See contact info below for anyone else looking for Tamaya (or other brands) parts:

Weems & Plath
214 Eastern Avenue
Annapolis, MD 21403-3318
United States of America
Tel: +1-410-263-6700
Fax: +1-410-268-8713

Robert E. White Instrument Services
62 Washington Street
Marblehead, MA 01945
508-359-7467
[email protected]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just noticed the "about us" - damn, that's an old-ass company - founded in 1675!
Interesting history!
Thanks for the info : )

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For that matter, there is also Robt. White & Co out of Boston. I'm assuming they are still in business, they also sell and repair sextants. They might also have a referral for it--they're true professionals.
I missed that one - i'm reading the posts my phone at quoted hours (school's rules). But you're right - they still are in business and found the frame i was looking for.

Thank you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts