SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is my vocabulary right? This is the shaft log? I've never been quite clear on that.

More importantly, now that I've got the prop shaft out, I'd like to replace that hose. How does it come apart? Is it just old-hose friction holding it together right now?

Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looking for replacement parts, I see that pictured is the stuffing box. What the hell is a shaft log?

The other question about disassembly still stands.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,398 Posts
The shaft log is the tube cast into the hull that the stuffing box (the thing pictured) connects onto. The stuffing box is friction fit, and then DOUBLE hose clamped to both the shaft log and the stuffing box hose.

In your case, you should be able to cut the hose laterally with a box cutter, and it will slip off.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,398 Posts
Also note from your picture that the hose clamp that was closest to the stuffing box was not positioned properly.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
many boats they are made of fiber glass but bronze they look like this.
what you have is the stuffing box and hose that connect to the SF.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,398 Posts
Yep

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Really detailed info here. 10alig&stearngear
reading that information, i now feel much less comfortable with the idea of an inboard motor.

"if the hose fails, you sink"

mine would need rebilt if i were to go the inboard route but, i now think i will seal the tunnel and go for an outboard. one less hole in the hull to worry about.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Just use a proper stuffing box hose like Buck Algonquin.

Reactions: jimgo

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Actually, depending on the size hose you need, Buck may be the only game in town. The hose is expensive, but it's really nice stuff. Hamilton Marine sells it. Take good measurements with a caliper, and measure both the stuffing box (the brass/bronze thing in the picture) and the shaft log to make sure a) they are the same size, and b) what size you actually need. I just went through this process earlier this year, and the several-week tale is in my blog if you're interested.

BTW, there ARE less expensive hoses that are being used all the time to replace this hose. And not too many vessels sink. But I don't think I'd want $5-15 being the thing that caused my boat to sink. If you can't get the right size hose, then that's another story. But measure carefully and you'll probably be fine.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Actually, depending on the size hose you need, Buck may be the only game in town. The hose is expensive, but it's really nice stuff. Hamilton Marine sells it. Take good measurements with a caliper, and measure both the stuffing box (the brass/bronze thing in the picture) and the shaft log to make sure a) they are the same size, and b) what size you actually need. I just went through this process earlier this year, and the several-week tale is in my blog if you're interested.

BTW, there ARE less expensive hoses that are being used all the time to replace this hose. And not too many vessels sink. But I don't think I'd want $5-15 being the thing that caused my boat to sink. If you can't get the right size hose, then that's another story. But measure carefully and you'll probably be fine.
most decidedly. kind of want to avoid the whole sinking thing all together, regardless of the cost of the think that caused it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts