SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shaft replacement or ''''the shaft''''?

Last year I had the shaft replaced on my Pearson 323 by Brands Marina in Port Clinton, Ohio. When I asked if shaft alignment was included I was told it was. I paid the bill for the shaft repacement but later received a separate bill for the alignment. When I complained that the alignment was supposed to be included the marina responded that they meant that the alignment was included in the ''process'' but was charged separately.
I would like to hear form other boaters about this. Is alignment usually included in the cost of shaft replacement or is it usually billed separately? I haven''t paid the bill yet. Should I?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
373 Posts
Shaft replacement or ''''the shaft''''?

If it ain''t in writing, it ain''t worth *&$#. Live and learn. It dosen''t pay to be trusting any more. You''re going to have to pay this bill before you get any more use from that source. If it''s the only service shop around or a marina that you use, they may have you over a barrel.

Pi

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think that it rather depends on the overall value.
The price of the shaft is easealy calculated, and often listed by most supliers, depending on gauge, lenght, quality and eventual acessories.
In fact it is a "spare part".
Rather diferent with the alignment, wich is time consuming and sometimes a hell of a job. So, it's value is more inpredictable.
So it make sense to have diferent prices.
Unless a forfait price have been stablished in advance, or overall price is to hight, it may be fair.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Some service centers include balancing with a fitment and some don’t. I can get rather picky and always push for discount. Pay the bill and in the future bargain for the balance to be part of the shaft fitment at no extra cost also get a quote. Last year I had the engine overhauled and insisted on a quote when the time came to overhaul there was a $600 price increase I produced the quote and ended up paying the quoted price.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
You really should get stuff like that in writing... If not, then you really don't have a leg to stand on at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts