SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats Good Old Boat not Grumpy old Bustard !!

okcpicker has posted the link to the Sailing podcast site featuring Bob Perry. Thank you.

BP has also started doing a monthly column for Good Old Boat (subscribe subscribe subscribe) with Rick Beddoe which for mine makes GOB even more worth the outlay.

BP and RB are mates of the Wombat so yeah I'm biased but I'd heartily recommend checking out Ricks 3D renderings in Cruising Anarchy. We all know and probably appreciate BPs stuff but Ricks ability with rendering in 3D is really quite amazing. (At least it is to me)

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Rick was kind enough to give permission to post some of his renderings of Perry's latest creation......a gaffer for the 21st century.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Hey TDW - I read Bob's article in my own copy of Grumpy Old Bastard.

That is a crazy cool mainsheet set-up in the rendering above.

BTW - what advantage the gaff have over the sloop rig? Is is more sail area for the size of the boat?

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey TDW - I read Bob's article in my own copy of Grumpy Old Bastard.

That is a crazy cool mainsheet set-up in the rendering above.

BTW - what advantage the gaff have over the sloop rig? Is is more sail area for the size of the boat?
Smack..Jeff_H is the man to talk to I'd reckon. Hopefully he will see this and chime in when the weekend is over. Charlie Cobrac probably knows a thing or two about gaffers as well.

The guy this lady is being built for simply wanted something a bit different I believe. I've never sailed a gaffer so I'm not the person to ask but off the wind a gaffer can be very spritely indeed. I remember one afternoon in Sydney being soundly dusted off by a 30' cassic gaff sloop (sister of the one in the vid) that went pass us like an express train and was not being embarassed by the racing boys and girls (in a non spinnaker race).

Uphill a marconi/bermuda will win out every time although this vid suggests a gaffer is not complete rubbish to windward.

(What is the difference between Marconi and Bermuda ?)

Me, I just love diversity.

This vid is of Maluka. She is a Ranger (legendary classic of Sydney Harbour) was built in 1932 and was rebuilt in 2006ish. Since then she has done two Sydney - Hobarts.

These last two pics are of BP's Jakatan. she was first across the line in the recent Great San Francisco Schooner Race.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Smack,
Link to GOB article (these guys should be paying me !) by another of my favourite designers Ted Brewer. Subject Gaff rig v Bermuda (which as it turns out is simply the original term. There is no difference between Bermuda and Marconi)

Good Old Boat - The fore-and-aft rig article

·
not Sully or Dandelion
195 Posts
We all know and probably appreciate BPs stuff but Ricks ability with rendering in 3D is really quite amazing. (At least it is to me)
I agree the 3D rendering and modeling is outstanding. I have used Catia and AutoCad to model in 3D and 3ds Max to render.

Do you have any idea of what software these guys use to design, model. and render these images?

Nice looking boat and great 3D modeling/rendering. Thanks for posting it tdw.

Paul

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
My guess on the software would be Rhino 3D for the modeling (great NURBS modeler) and V-Ray or Maxwell as the renderer.

·
not Sully or Dandelion
195 Posts
I have farted around with Rhino. I agree it is a good NURBS modeler. V-Ray has a plugin that works with 3ds Max. Maxwell is new to me.

It sounds like you are familiar with 3D computer graphics software.
Is it a hobby ?

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
No - used CGI a lot in my past work and still use it some in our current work. Max and V-Ray is what we've primarily used. Maxwell is cool - but slow as hell. V-Ray rocks.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Half past a cows ass..............Thought it was a "monkeys ass"?!?!?!?! hmmmmm must be something about them texans I do not know abouts..........

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My guess on the software would be Rhino 3D for the modeling (great NURBS modeler) and V-Ray or Maxwell as the renderer.

Half right Smack......and for your info as well MP......

They were down mainly on Solidworks but Rhino for the hull layout.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
New guy here, looks like a great bunch of folks

Gaff sails and the new modern "square top" sails are looking more and more alike. Combine that with the new ropes for replacing rigging wire and and the dead eyes used for the same...well it's coming back around!
I agree.

On Jakatan (see TDW's photos of the schooner), the modern ropes and blocks allowed BP to do away with separate throat and peak halyards for hoisting the gaff. Instead, a single halyard raises the whole rig. But I haven't heard any reports yet on how well it works....

·
Anchored
9 Posts
The only thing Rhino was used for was the half hull (using Rhinomarine). Rhino is a great surface modeller. Honestly though, SolidWorks does just as well or better in some areas of surface modeling. The area SolidWorks doesn't do well is in laying out the hull. In fact, I think the problem is that it's 'too good' and doesn't allow the amount of global control that Rhino does. There is no 'net' control on SolidWorks surfaces. The closest thing to that currently is Freeform, but that actually is too precise for it to be useful. If SW would introduce surface net controls, I'd be done with Rhino.

Hands down, SolidWorks (and others like ProE or Inventor) are much better for handling the modeling details. Whenever possible, working with true solids is always better than modeling in surfaces. And most manufacturers these days offer their products as 3D solids. All the running gear on this boat uses models from Harken and Wichard.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Hey Sona - welcome to SN dude! Did you do those renders? Great work.

Does SW give you machine-level precision? In other words, are the modeled parts precise enough to pull out and detail for production? That was always one of the Holy Grails of AutoCad - e.g. - model it once and have the working drawings/details pull out of that model almost automatically.

·
Anchored
9 Posts
Thanks Smack. Yes, those renderings are mine. You can see more here.

SW is all about accurate models. It puts AutoCAD in the weeds. AutoDesk's answer to SolidWorks is Inventor. That product is not bad, but it is typically 2 or 3 steps behind SolidWorks.

In SolidWorks, you work entirely in 3D. The 2-D orthographic views are simply by-products of the 3D model. Coming from 15 years of AutoCAD experience, I was skeptical that working in 3D could be as fast as 2D. Turns out I was right. 3D in SolidWorks isn't as fast as 2D. It's FASTER and more accurate.

I've been using SolidWorks now for 7 years and will never go back to drawing in 2D.

And for what it's worth, I always used 'monkey'.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts