SailNet Community banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
not Sully or Dandelion
195 Posts
Sanadora, that is beautiful work. I have worked with 3d modeling for years as a hobbyist, started with 3d Studio running under DOS. Your level of work is not easy to reach.

Thanks for posting the link to the images. And thanks for inspiring me.

Paul

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Welcome to Sailnet Sons......good to see your name pop up. Must be the first time I've managed to drag one of the anarchists over here though some of us do forum hop.

Thanks for filling MP in on the software. Me I know nothing about it. All my design work was done on DrawingBoard 2.1

Thanks Smack. Yes, those renderings are mine. You can see more here.

SW is all about accurate models. It puts AutoCAD in the weeds. AutoDesk's answer to SolidWorks is Inventor. That product is not bad, but it is typically 2 or 3 steps behind SolidWorks.

In SolidWorks, you work entirely in 3D. The 2-D orthographic views are simply by-products of the 3D model. Coming from 15 years of AutoCAD experience, I was skeptical that working in 3D could be as fast as 2D. Turns out I was right. 3D in SolidWorks isn't as fast as 2D. It's FASTER and more accurate.

I've been using SolidWorks now for 7 years and will never go back to drawing in 2D.

And for what it's worth, I always used 'monkey'.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Sanadora, that is beautiful work. I have worked with 3d modeling for years as a hobbyist, started with 3d Studio running under DOS. Your level of work is not easy to reach.

Thanks for posting the link to the images. And thanks for inspiring me.

Paul
Heh-heh, do you still have the rendering of the torus, teapot and pyramid from the 3D Studio 1.0 tutorial? Now that's sexy.

BTW - what's with the whole teapot thing?

·
Anchored
9 Posts
Good to be here womby. I think I had a sailnet account years ago.

just what I need. Another sailing forum. :p

I used to know the story behind the teapot. I'll have to give it some thought (and drop John Walker an e-mail ;)). I used to be a reseller of 3DS (back on v3 DOS).

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
I thought that it was something like it came from a geek contest where they were trying to conceive of the most complex parametric model back in the day - and they came up with the teapot.

It's funny that it's still used as an icon in Max.

PS - Tell John hi for me, Sona. He won't know who the hell I am, but what the heck.

·
Anchored
9 Posts
That may have been it, but I think there's something more tongue-in-cheek with the teapot.

It's not only seen in Max, but pretty much every 3D software has a teapot in its tutorials.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.