SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Glad I found Sailnet
3,844 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[This thread continues a previous thread found here: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/58449-your-chance-tell-me-where-go-departing-montauk.html]

This is davidpm, I'm here in Westbrook, CT my home port. I'm on Bene505's boat, using his account. Brad is working through his list of on-board firsts.
First time is Westbrook, CT
First solo in long island sound
First time with harnes and jacklines.
First time a Bill's seafood, with 20 piece band.
And of course first time baking cookies on board.

Oh yes I'm playing hookie from work tomorrow to go to port jeff.

· Registered
2,171 Posts
Reaction score
Guys, it was blowing like stink yesterday. I was down at the water in the morning, pleasant breeze. I went back about 3pm, the Sound was all ripped up, there was a dust storm in the parking lot, I went home to cook chicken soup. The soup was good.
Bene is a wild man.

· Registered
2,635 Posts
Reaction score
hi John,

You missed them. Believe it or not, they made it to Port Jeff on Tuesday around noon (I think). Brad and I left this morning (Wednesday) around 9:00 am and sailed, then motorsailed to Sea Cliff.

Barry

· Registered
5,255 Posts
Reaction score
I survived the trip from wesbrook to Port Jeff.

I wasn't going to go but the hatch was guarded so I couldn't leave.

Attachments

· Glad I found Sailnet
3,844 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great videos David. For everyone, the videos are showing us hove to. Once we hove to, the motion was very easy and we drifted at between 1.1 and 1.7 knots, depending on how we set the sails.

· Glad I found Sailnet
3,844 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
You didn't tell the reason why there are 2 cookies missing.

The DM3500 autopilot and sailtrim commentator runs best on beer and cookies.

Then there were bribes.

· Glad I found Sailnet
3,844 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
hi John,

You missed them. Believe it or not, they made it to Port Jeff on Tuesday around noon (I think). Brad and I left this morning (Wednesday) around 9:00 am and sailed, then motorsailed to Sea Cliff.

Barry
John -- would have gladly shared a beer instead of taking the dinghy from near the ferry dock to 3 or 4 miles straight upwind to the NW corner of the lake at night, in an SCA. That was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I'm in the market for a tiller extension, by the way. I have a new appreciation after sitting like a street luge racer for an hour with hand on the engine handle, butt on the seat midships, feet forward, and holding onto the painter so I didn't fall backward. Any other position had little forward weight, no ability to reach the engine control, or no shock absorbing. Even in that position, I could feel the seat hitting the top of the gas tank every once in a while. The bow would fall off the wind once it got 10 degrees off straight upwind. I aimed for a sailboat in the distance for about 30 minutes and it turned out to be mine. Very glad I left the light on.

---

Barry is great company, showed me a thing or two about sail trim, and was a huge help in more ways than one. Glad to sail with you Barry.

Regards,
Brad

· Banned
17,447 Posts
Reaction score
SERIOUS FREAKIN' BFS! Bene - you have got to do a serious write up on this trip when you get back to port.

Those cookies are INSANE!!!!!!

PS - In the words of Lou Rawles..."Did you ever know that you were my hero?"

· Registered
2,171 Posts
Reaction score
I guess I realized afterward that I was a day late on this thread. I'm glad you got in to PJ early, things wre wild late in the day. I'm sure the dinghy trip was an adventure, I've been out rowing in worse, but never so far nor upwind! Barry is an excellent guy, he's my boat neighbor. Brad, I admire your sense of adventure and the way you go about improving your skills. Sorry I missed David too, he's great company.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.