SailNet Community banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Broad Reachin'
2,038 Posts
Anybody out there tell me if teh traveller position in the cockpit is awkward and if it is what is the feasibilty of a cabintop mounted traveller?
We have the same traveller position on our 28' Irwin. I initially had concerns about the traveller getting in the way while lounging in the cockpit and being awkward for going below but neither has been a real issue. I actually now really like the traveller location because it's easy to trim from the helm and as has been mentioned makes it very convenient for single-handed sailing.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
And, yes, I am keeping my eye out for the Southern Cross. I love the line and Ryder's build quality.
SeaQwest, you might want to look north in your boat search, especially this time of year. Here's a Southern Cross that might suit your needs.
Bridge Yachts Ltd. (Port Dover, ON)
I have coveted Amanda Lee from across the fairway for three seasons, and was surprised to see her listed for sale.
There are a half dozen CS 36 Traditionals brokered nearby that are in your price range, a couple of Niagaras, and this C&C Landfall 35 makes me pause:

C&C 35 Landfall Sailboat - City of Toronto Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.

There are some advantages to purchasing a freshwater boat, especially boats that only see the water 5-6 months a year. Also, a cruise down the Erie canal to Long Island is an easier shakedown cruise on an unknown boat than a hard drive north outside from Annapolis

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
We have the same traveller position on our 28' Irwin. I initially had concerns about the traveller getting in the way while lounging in the cockpit and being awkward for going below but neither has been a real issue. I actually now really like the traveller location because it's easy to trim from the helm and as has been mentioned makes it very convenient for single-handed sailing.
Our traveller/mainsheet is also in the cockpit, on the trailing edge of the bridgedeck. I like this location a lot, for the same reasons Kevin mentioned.

We have a quick release shackle so we can detach the mainsheet from the traveller car and clip it to the lifelines while at anchor. So we get the best of both worlds -- handy while sailing and out-of-the-way at anchor.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
May I add that having a traveler on a bridge deck is great for a hand hold on windy days when entering or exiting the companionway. That loaded-up mainsheet tackle makes for a nice grip...
You can always move the car to either side for social hour once you are moored for the night.
Plus One on the comment that it helps short hand sailing a lot. Ours is a 6 to 1 purchase with a Harken cam cleat, and I can "snap" the sheet in and out of the cams from back behind the wheel.
(The high sheeting loads and requirement for a winch with a housetop traveler system make it a lot harder to use when you are short handed.)

LB

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Bljones, thanks for the recommends. I concur with your thinking about freshwater boats and especially ones in northern climates. The boat might be 30 years old, but it was used half as much as the same boat further south.

I do like the Southern Cross 31, especially if they are "factory finished". This one looks good, but is one of the higher priced ones...I will keep my eye on it. The CS36 Traditional is a great boat. The ones in great shape are usually just out of my price range or aren't the shoal-draft versions. Plus, now I'm slipping into "big" boat issues. But, again, I like them...

Speaking of Niagaras and CSs, does anyone know if we in the U. S. can document a boat manufactured outside the U.S.?

Thanks all.

Jim
SeaQwest

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Yes, many boats of non-US manufacture are USCG documented. The USCG DOCUMENTATION doesn't care where the boat was built, but what the citizenship of the owners is...
Bljones, thanks for the recommends. I concur with your thinking about freshwater boats and especially ones in northern climates. The boat might be 30 years old, but it was used half as much as the same boat further south.

I do like the Southern Cross 31, especially if they are "factory finished". This one looks good, but is one of the higher priced ones...I will keep my eye on it. The CS36 Traditional is a great boat. The ones in great shape are usually just out of my price range or aren't the shoal-draft versions. Plus, now I'm slipping into "big" boat issues. But, again, I like them...

Speaking of Niagaras and CSs, does anyone know if we in the U. S. can document a boat manufactured outside the U.S.?

Thanks all.

Jim
SeaQwest

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Sailingdog, thanks for the info.

Also, a big THANKS for the "Boat Inspection Trip Tips". I refer to it often.

Jim
SeaQwest

·
Registered
618 Posts
St Augustine Shannon

Hi - hope your search is coming along well! I can't attest to details, but the Shannon 28 f/s in St Augustine FL is certainly not a dog and the owner seemed to be a decent guy too boot (the boat is in the same marina where I bought my cape dory). It is listed on YW (as what seemed like a decent price). Also, the CD's seem to be down in price recently . . .. Luck! Let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Blowinstink - Thanks for the report. She looked cared-for in her pictures on YW. Sounds like she doesn't have H/C water or shore power. I wonder how involved and expensive these would be to install?

It is either feast or famine. A few weeks back, there were 8 or 9 Shannon 28s for sale. Now, there are 3 with only 1 on the east coast.

I am heading to FLA in March. If she is still available, I will make a call to see her. Thanks again for the eyes. I will let you know how it turns out.

Jim
SeaQwest

41 - 49 of 49 Posts