SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the first mate and I are coming up on our 2nd. anniversary. We went to high school together and although we both had a crush on each other(mine was MAJOR), neither knew it. Man, I loved 6th period English, didn't learn much...I blame her for that. We lead seperate lives, raised our kids...all the normal stuff.

I bought myself a computer as a retirement present and found her on Classmates. Her husband had passed two years prior and my spousal unit found greener pastures elsewhere 15 years earilier. I flew to Tenn. on February 14, 2005 and the rest, as they say, is history.

I would say she's the best thing that's ever happened to me and although the 2nd anniversary isn't exactly a towering milestone, she deserves a little something special, so we are going to the lower west coast of Florida for some fun in the sun, romance among the palms and watching the sun set into the Gulf while sipping a 'pain killer'. During the day...if we happen to run into a marina that happens to have a certain 34 footer for sale....well!

When your dating, 'wood' is the appropriate gift, first year is paper, second is 'BOAT' and the third (if I get away with it) is 'diamond'...Oh well, I can't seem to keep that stuff straight.:rolleyes: I may be just dreaming, but I sure hope I get LUCKY!...on both counts!:D Hopefully, I'm not stretching mine...wish me luck!:)

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Good luck FullKeel, fair winds to you and your first mate. :)

·
19,485 Posts
Nice to hear a happy ending story once in a while.. Thanks for that! And good luck in your search.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the kind words and well wishes. :) We leave tomorrow in the AM and both are looking forward to some relaxed R&R.

I, however am having second thoughts about her...no, not my bride, the 34 footer. She has a cast iron shoal keel (4' 3") and after reading of Bene505's grinding adventures on his keel, I not too sure I'm ready to deal with the characteristics of iron. Not too concerned with the bottom of the keel as I am with keel to hull stub attachment.

The second, second thought is that this boat was produce with deep and shoal keel versions with both having the same length rudder. On the shoal version, the rudder is very close to the same depth as the keel and here in Florida that could be an area of concern.

If the boat is in as good of shape as the pics indicate, I will have it fully surveyed. What the hay, at the risk of any jinxing, it's a '84 34' Oday and although it may be a bit of a floating condo, I think it would be very suitable for the ICW on both coasts of Fl. with occassional (weather permitting) trips to the Bahamas or Ft. Jefferson.

I would very much like to hear your pos./neg. thoughts/experiences with this type of keel and any problems likely to occur at the hull to keel joint. Also, if the hull/keel joint is now good on this boat, what can I do, maintenance wise, to insure it stays that way?

If this deal goes thru, it'll be most interesting...my last keel boat was a Cape Dory Typhoon! :eek: :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.