SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just posting a pic of our "new" boat a couple days after she was launched late last week. She's still several hundred miles from home, but we're making progress on getting her ready. This weekend we had the sea trial and didn't find anything major wrong. Just small stuff, so that's great news!

Here's a pic from before we put the new Rocna on the anchor platform:

And here's a blurry pic (sorry) with the new Rocna 15 in place--I'll get a better pic later, but it's a start!

This week we'll be doing some final provisioning, and hopefully we'll be departing in less than a week for home. We'll see how the weather shapes up though. I'll be sure to report back...

Cheers!
-J

·
Registered
539 Posts
Lookin' good! Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Just curious, and not nit picking. Is that Rocna rated for what kind of weather with your size boat? I remember the 2 times of my boat purchase. Exciting stuff!!!!!!!!!.........i2f

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just curious, and not nit picking. Is that Rocna rated for what kind of weather with your size boat? I remember the 2 times of my boat purchase. Exciting stuff!!!!!!!!!.........i2f
Absolutely! It's 33 lbs, and properly sized for just about anything we could throw at it. Rocna recommends this size for my boat, and their anchor sizing recommendations are already "well-oversized". :)
-J

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
Josrulz,

Congrats Pal, glad you've gotten her in the water.

I'm a bit giddy today myself. Yesterday I completed the teak refinishing. You'll recall how "rough" Rhythm looked in February...today, she's glowing like a girl just back from the beauty shop.

Have a safe sail bringing Valinor home and stay in touch.

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Josrulz,

Congrats Pal, glad you've gotten her in the water.

I'm a bit giddy today myself. Yesterday I completed the teak refinishing. You'll recall how "rough" Rhythm looked in February...today, she's glowing like a girl just back from the beauty shop.

Have a safe sail bringing Valinor home and stay in touch.
Glad to hear it, mgmhead! I'm Rhythm looks great. Because you ask, I remember the teak in February, but honestly, I was too impressed with the electrical setup on Rhythm to notice the teak! Valinor doesn't even have a battery charger still, so we have much work to do.

When are you getting Rhythm in the water?
-J

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Congrats, that's a fine boat, but I'm REALLY partial to Sabres. You'll love her. We're on our 2nd Sabre and we raced on a 34 Mk1 before we bought our Sabre 28. If you have ANY questions at all, drop me a PM or on this thread.

I can't tell from the photo what type vang you have but if it's stock, recommend a boom kicker or amping up the ratio. I increased from 3:1 to 7:1.

She's a beauty. She looks like she's floating on her lines nicely too. We're a little down at the bow (~1") and I can't figure out why.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I forgot to mention to double check the chainplates. Both our Sabres leaked where the enter the deck (before I fixed them). You've probably already done this, but I figured that I mention it.

Also check the mast drainage on the keel. It's not uncommon on these boats to have some cabin sole delamination or discoloring near the mast step due to bad drainage. The PO of our boat had the entire sole replaced (lucky for me!) with 1/4" teak and holly. It must have cost a fortune.

In the fuel tank, there is a screen at the bottom of the pickup. Pull out the pickup, remove the screen and let the Raycor and two other filters collect the gunk. On both our boats, we had fuel starvation problems until I pulled that screen. It's way easier to pull a fuel filter than to clear that screen. On our current boat, after I pulled it, the Raycor collected a PILE of sludge. It's been clean ever since. Maybe the PO already did it on yours?

Check for rot in the anchor well on the aft plywood bulkhead. I don't like how close it is to the edge of the anchor well hatch. I ended up fabricating an epoxy bulkhead.

Sorry to babble on........:eek:

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats, that's a fine boat, but I'm REALLY partial to Sabres. You'll love her. We're on our 2nd Sabre and we raced on a 34 Mk1 before we bought our Sabre 28. If you have ANY questions at all, drop me a PM or on this thread.

I can't tell from the photo what type vang you have but if it's stock, recommend a boom kicker or amping up the ratio. I increased from 3:1 to 7:1.

She's a beauty. She looks like she's floating on her lines nicely too. We're a little down at the bow (~1") and I can't figure out why.
Thanks Sabreman, and thank you for all the tips! Our boat is about 1/2" down at the bow--you put one person in the cockpit and she sits nicely. So that's not a lot of weight, really. I think I just need to load some of my heavier gear and/or beverages into the cockpit lockers, and that might take care of it. We'll mess around with it this week before our trip. It's one of those things that bugs me, even though it doesn't mean all that much.

The vang is missing in this picture, but it's on the boat, and will be installed before we depart. That said, it could use an upgrade, so I'll keep your suggestion(s) in mind.

I'm aware of the mast step problem, and we've done a little work on ours to get Valinor ready. Didn't need major reconstruction, but there are some things to keep an eye on. I keep thinking there must be a way to end the problem completely, but I suppose that would mean a mast with no water coming down it. That sure would make life easier!

I had one chainplate that leaked badly and I rebedded it. The others I plan to rebed as well, but can wait until we get her home. :)

Thanks again for the info--especially about the screen on fuel tank. My fuel tank's been replaced (2005), so not sure if it's the same, but I'll check it out.
-J

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Valinor looks beautiful in the water! Hope the countdown to your sail date goes smoothly. You both must be So Psyched!
Thanks Mysticsailor--we are very excited to get our boat home. It was really amusing to us how different Valinor looks in the water compared to on the hard. Looks like a different boat!

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts

How much chain are you carrying in the anchor locker?

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How much chain are you carrying in the anchor locker?
Only 30 feet, but it's only 1/4" HT. It's not really all that heavy, but I suppose it is an increase in weight with the Rocna as well. The boat came with a Fortress up there with only 5 feet of chain.

I still think moving around some gear would take care of the issue. Plus adding a dinghy outboard on the rail, etc. would probably affect it some too.

Maybe this is the cosmos telling me we really need dinghy davits. :D

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I think you'll be very happy with the Rocna 15. I have one on my boat. :)

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
Pat,

She looks great. Hope to see her soon up here on the bay.

Dave

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
warn your bow crew to hang on when backing down to set it... You've been warned... also, be prepared for 30 lbs. of mud/sand/weed to come up with it pretty much every time you use it.

Looking forward to trying it out!

·
Aeolus II
670 Posts
Nice boat

I bet you are a happy with her, I would be. Where on the Bay will you be hailing from?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts